How do you save seeds?

Peapickinchicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I bought heirloom seeds for my garden this year, and I would like to start saving my own seeds from here on out but I heard there are different ways of saving seeds and storing of them as well for the different vegtables. Any help, or suggestions of a seed saving book would greatly be appreciated.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome Peapickenchicks!:)

I haven't saved seeds for a while but I am thinking of saving some this year. I used to dry them and put them in jars and keep them in the basement where it is a little cooler. There are probably better ways of saving them to get the most vitality though.

Where in Kentucky are you from? We stayed near Central City for a while in Muhlenberg County and loved it there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've read in Countryside that one has to put the seeds in a jar of water, place on a sunny window ledge and let the seeds ferment. Then rinse off, spread out on newspaper to dry and store in a jar with a tight lid in a cool, dry place. Make sure seeds are dry before storing so they won't mold.

I'm going to try this with my pumpkin seeds. You wouldn't believe all the compliments I got on these pumpkins this year. I want to grow more of this type!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stick almost all seeds in the freezer.

dry and bag and freeze. I bag ALOT of seeds and over plant when starting my fields, so my germination is a good percentage.

works for me....I only use for 1 year...if for some reason all the seeds don't get in the ground, I throw them into the bird feeder mix and start wtih new batch each season.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It depends on the seeds... For example, seeds from wet things like tomatoes would get fermented first like beekissed described. Things with big dry seeds like beans and corn could simply dry out in the garden. Lettuce seeds might need to get bagged to prevent their dropping to the ground.

I have not done much seed saving personally, but Seed Saver's Exchange (find it online) has a great book about this! Can't remember the title, but it's the "bible" of seed saving and incredibly thorough.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm going to try this with my pumpkin seeds. You wouldn't believe all the compliments I got on these pumpkins this year. I want to grow more of this type!
Hey, beekissed! What kind of pumpkins do you have again? Way to go! Are they selling well for you or are you using them for your own family?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Good thread....I think I'm going to get some heirlooms this spring and would like to start saving as well....I'll be keeping an eye on this one! LOL :pop

Peapickinchicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Woodland Woman wrote:
Where in Kentucky are you from? We stayed near Central City for a while in Muhlenberg County and loved it there.
Hi Woodland Woman thank you for the welcome I am from Elizabethtown. I have never been to Central City myself I really haven't been too many places in my life yet. Some folks ask me " don't you want to see the ocean before you die ". And I always reply" would'nt mind but don't care either way as long as I as I make to heaven to be with Jesus I'll forever be in Paradise". Until then Kentucky is a beautiful place to be.

And thank you guys so much for the info. I really appreciate it. God bless!:frow

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Beekissed said:
Hey, beekissed! What kind of pumpkins do you have again? Way to go! Are they selling well for you or are you using them for your own family?
Planted Rouge Vif D'Etampes...looks like Cinderella's pumpkin/carriage. They are an old type, not hybrid, and sweet! Great for pumpkin pies or just to eat. They are a lovely deep orange/red color. I sold some($4-$5 each, depending on size) and kept some. I plan to sell more next year, as they have people all over the county talking! They are extremely vigorous growers, resistant to wilt and are just lovely to look at.

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey Beakissed, do you ever sell a few of your pumpkin seeds,what i planted this year all failed to produce, and i saw tht pumpkins were 78 cents a pound in the store last week marrie