How do you store your extra feed?

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With all the forecasts saying that the cost of feed is only going to go up, I suspect many folks will be buying more now in hopes of avoiding the increase for as long as possible. I've heard of people storing grain in broken chest freezers, but are there any other waterproof/ rodent proof solutions? Thanks!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use mainly metal 55 gal barrels. I have some with lids and one that I cut out of plywood. I also have a coupl plastic ones.(barrels) And a couple big rubbermade tubs.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an army of metal trash cans I use. I keep them under cover and have the lids bungied down. I'm slowly getting more of them.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need to store a ton of feed for the poultry. I can't free range them because of a pair of redtail hawks that have moved into a tree right over their run. They watch them everyday trying to figure out how to get them and even went after one of my Lionhead rabbits once. I wish they'd move on because the birds are dying to go out in the yard again.

They go through 50 lb a week along with sunflower seeds, poultry conditioner and oyster shell. I'd have to store a ton or more to try and wait out the price jumps.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is something i NEED to start doing myself...especially since there are going to be months when money is tighter than others due to unforseen costs (like this month and that stupic electric fence charger)
Ive been thining thick plastic smaller trashcans or metal trashcans but there so expensive!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
not sure how much longer my washer is gonna last..when it goes i was gonna take out the agitator..and use..
for feed...storage.
for us we have bears in the area..
and have to keep our garbage in the garage.and last year
they did stomp on my plastic storage and took my bag of feed
and tryed taking it into the bushes behind our property...(wish i had that on video)
the next night they came back and were munching on the last of the layer crumbs...
when I tryed to take a picture..it ran off seeming more scared of me than I of it...
this years sighting was on the other side of the fence
a bit more comfortable...stomped garbage cans look like an elephant came for a visit :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Check your local Craigslist for metal barrels. I bought mine locally used but pristine condition for 8 bucks each. One 55 gallon metal barrel holds about 6 50lb bags.

G

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Something you want to remember, feed is only good stored for so long. And, if you get any moisture in it, it can cause it to mold. And while I'd love to have feed stored long term, I don't know that it's worth the risk.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have rain issues here most of the year (as in wow, did the rain actually stop for a moment?) so I make sure the cans are where no rain or sun can hit them. No moisture got in them last year. My hubby wants to put some of the metal desiccant canisters in with stored feed. Those suckers are expensive, but all I have to do is put them in the oven a while to dehydrate them. That's what we use in the gun safes. I've thought about moving all the cans into the large shipping container that is our storage shed. That means cleaning it out and reorganizing. I have books in there that stay dry.

I've only picked up 3 months worth of food at a time before. I'm thinking of getting 6 months worth now. Well I can't add apparently, so I picked up to much of each item for the mix that I give my chickens as scratch. I have two trash cans full that will last them well over 6 months.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HandledWithCare said:
I can't free range them because of a pair of redtail hawks that have moved into a tree right over their run.
Don't you own a gun?