How do you use sauerkraut?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Well, thanks to all of your inspiration, I have my large crockpot full of kraut, 5 quart jars full of more and plans to start a lactofermented batch tomorrow. This will yield more sauerkraut than my family has eaten in the last 14 years combined!!

We use it in Reuben sandwiches, meat or vegetarian. I can picture it being excellent with venison ring bologna and fresh potatoes.

How do you love your 'kraut?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I just toss mine in a slow cooker with pork roast and slow cook all night...next day serve over top homemade mashed 'taters! :drool

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh yum! QA--We don't really buy pork, but we have lots of venison and chicken. Have you ever tried it with that? We have LOTS of potatoes!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Oh yum! QA--We don't really buy pork, but we have lots of venison and chicken. Have you ever tried it with that? We have LOTS of potatoes!
Never thought of trying it with chicken, but I bet it would be divine with venison!!

Ohhhhhhhh I know what's for dinner tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Polish Hunter's Stew
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp paprika or caraway seed
2 tbs butter
1 lb lean beef, cubed
1 lb lean pork, cubed
2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 medium onions, sliced
12 oz kielbasa (Posish Sausage) or 6 smikie link sausages, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms (Undrained)
1/2 c dry white wine
Chopped parsley
Small boiled potatoes

1. Combine flour and paprika; coat meat pieces.
2. Heat butter in a dutch oven or saucepot. Add meat and brown on all sides. Add sauerkraut, onion, sausage, mushrooms and wine; mix. Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
3. Remove meat and vegetables to serving platter. If desired, garnish with parsley and serve with small boiled potatoes.

You can use a combination of diced cooked meats, using beef, ham, lamb, sausage, veal, pork, venison or rabbit, wild duck, wild goose, or pheasant)
I have made it with veal, pork, venison and kielbasa. It is delicious.
It is one big reason I look to get venison every year.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You should get you some pork, specially for the saurkraut. That is its natural soulmate, it is cruel to keep them apart ;)

Personally I also think saurkraut is also good in some kinds of soups - chicken noodle type soups, and especially in Asian curry type soups, believe it or not!

Oh, and well-drained in a grilled cheese sandwich.

Have fun! :)

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Choucroute (shoo-kroot) Fromage Roulades

Ingredients:
whole leaf sauerkraut
shredded sauerkraut
feta cheese or other cheese

Make whole leaf sauerkraut:

Preserve intact the central cores, about softball size, of 1 to 2 heads of the cabbage. Place the cabbage cores in the crock, pack with shredded and salted cabbage all around and above them, and ferment as usual in brine. After one to two weeks, remove the heads of the cabbage.

Carefully peel off individual cabbage leaves. In each leaf place a small portion of shredded sauerkraut and crumble some feta or other cheese, then roll the leaf and insert a tooth pick to hold.

I got this recipe from my Wild Fermentation book by Sandor Ellix Katz.

I think I am going to try it as a shreaded sauerkraut salad with feta sprinkled on top, I already have the shredded version made. :D