How Does Homeschooling Affect College Plans?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do most colleges recognize home schooling degrees? Would/Is a homeschooling child competitive for scholarships (is that even possible? I'm sure there are different ones).

I don't have a lot of experience with homeschooling. However the two people that I do know that went through it had to get their GED in the end to get into college. Is that normal? I know that it's up to the parent to be sure that the child gets a good experience/education.

Just something I've always been interested in doing so I thought I'd ask some folks with some experience. :)

Edited for spelling.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know much about homeschooling but I have been accepted to several colleges. The acceptance was based on grades and SAT scores. What would a homeschooled person offer in terms of grades? Mom is not going to be as objective as an unrelated teacher- clearly, if it helped my child to get into a good school, I would award the highest grades possible. A teacher is not going to do that. So, I don't know what college admissions boards do to get around the lack of objective grading. Also, there is the issue of class ranking. At your home school you are number 1 in your grade unless you have a twin. I don't see how homeschooling can possibly prepare someone to be accepted at a better school. But, I could be wrong. Maybe I am missing something.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would say that it would affect social skills at college though. Just my teenagerly opinion. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I would say that it would affect social skills at college though. Just my teenagerly opinion. :D
Don't bet on it. Most home schooled children are more socially adapt than those that attend school. Reason? Most are involved w/various home school groups, and they have a wide range of ages. They learned to get along w/all age groups-from those that are way younger to adults.

As to the college, to a point, it depends on the college. Some will accept a "transcript" from your parents, some won't. It doesn't hurt to get a GED for just in case. You could also check w/the college your interested in, and see what their policy is.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't know how it works in the states, but in Canada, ifyou homeschool, your children need to be tested yearly to make sure they are keeping up/learning enough. YoOu get to set the curriculum,(within guidelines) but there is a bit of regulation just to make sure your kids are learning.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had a bit of experience with this question. For the last year of High School we used a correspondence school so my dd would have a transcript. She also took the ACT and scored very well. In our area we also had a Home School Graduation. So in the end she had 2 diplomas, transcripts, and her ACT scores. Colleges in this area seem to love homeschooled students. We had no problems and she received scholarships based on her scores. She graduated from college with the highest honors in public relations and communications and now works for a large company that is very successful. Among other responsibilities she is the go to person for organizing social events at her company. She almost has her masters in Business.

As far as socializing I really have to laugh. I can always tell when a student is home schooled just by speaking with them. They are so much more able to associate with adults and children of all ages. My other dd's are still in High School and they have an amazing social life. Drama, choir, youth groups, special organized activities and sports of all kinds are just some of the social options available. My dd's have options every day of the week!

By the time a homeschooler is in High School they have really learned to work by themselves and figured out how to learn. This really prepares them well for college.

The one thing that I found was not necessary was the correspondence school but I would advice contacting the colleges of your choice to see what their requirements are.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
:lol: :gig
Oldest myth in the whole world :rant

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
I don't know much about homeschooling but I have been accepted to several colleges. The acceptance was based on grades and SAT scores. What would a homeschooled person offer in terms of grades? Mom is not going to be as objective as an unrelated teacher- clearly, if it helped my child to get into a good school, I would award the highest grades possible. A teacher is not going to do that. So, I don't know what college admissions boards do to get around the lack of objective grading. Also, there is the issue of class ranking. At your home school you are number 1 in your grade unless you have a twin. I don't see how homeschooling can possibly prepare someone to be accepted at a better school. But, I could be wrong. Maybe I am missing something.
Yep :D

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
OrganicKale said:
Yep :D
So, Ivy League schools accept homeschoolers? They aren't concerned with grades or class ranking? I am just surprised. Things have changed since I went to school.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My daughters were both home schooled from 4th and 5th grade on. They both went on to college and have been on the deans list. The teachers love them and most colleges prefer home schooled children for their ability to be self paced. If you are concerned about acceptance start them in a community college and then they can easily get in to a four year school from there.
Nancy