How Does One Vacuum Pack In Canning Jars...??

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For longer term emergency dry foods storage, rice, beans and such how is it done. Member " Enjoy The Ride " mentioned vacuum canning short grain brown rice in another thread.
Has anyone else here done this.? ETR can you share your method..? Anyone have links to the subject...? I know brown rice can go rancid in long term storage, does vacuum pack in canning jars ad alot mor shelf life to brown rice..? I love short grain brown rice and would love to store some for long term if possible...thanks..Kevin

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know a lot of the preparedness sites sell oxygen packets and the metal liners for buckets.
Other than storing in the freezer, I am not sure. I need to do more research on rice also.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer. It vacuums the air out of the product and seals it. Go to www.foodsaver.com. Check it out. I got mine from the kids for Christmas one year. We eat alot of venison. This is the best way I have found to put it up. Hope this helps.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have a food-saver as well, I generally seal up all my dry goods anyway to keep bugs and such out. I use the plastic bags not jars.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I read that brown rice can go rancid so
I asked the National Center for Home Food Preservation about vacuum packing brown rice- they said dry, raw brown rice with no moisture exposure should be safe when vacuum packed and stored on the pantry shelf.

Also on another site-
Exposure to oxygen, light and heat are the greatest factors to rancidity. If you can, refrigerate your stored oil, particularly after it's been opened. If possible, buy your oils in opaque, airtight containers. If you purchase it in plastic, particularly clear plastic, then transfer it to a gas impermeable glass or metal container that can be sealed airtight. If you have a means of doing so, vacuum sealing the storage container is an excellent idea as it removes most of the air remaining inside, taking much of the oxygen with it.

So I have vacuum packed the brown rice - but I have not had it more than a couple of months so........................

I use the food saver with an attachment for vacuum packing in canning jars. I use the regular lid which do seal well enough to hold a vacuum - on some of my jars, for years. I don't use the plastic bags as the jars are re-usable.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use mason jars with the lids from food saver. I also use the bags and their canisters. You can also get a product from Seal-a-meal that is suppose to do the same thing. It costs less.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm I'm going to have to find these lids for Food Saver.

I did try once using their containers (like tupperware) and it was really annoying, and then washing the container with all the little spaces and seal etc. was very time consuming.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can buy the lids online at www.foodsaver.com or at most Bass Pro stores. Remember you have to have the Food Saver Vacuum sealer or they won't work.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Another thing I have done with my food saver canning jar thing is to vacuum pack cheese- when I buy cheese in large amounts, it will usually mold before I get it all used. I vacuum pack it in the jars in sizes I'll use.
Cheese still has to be kept in the fridge as botulism is always possible when vacuum packing things with moisture but it still has allowed me to use all the cheese before it molds rather than having to throw some away.
That's the real limitation with vacuum packing- it must be a very low moisture product to keep vacuum packed on the shelf because botulism thrives in a low oxygen, moist and warm condition.
But as you can tell- I love my canning jars and food saver. It is wonderful for cereals, wheat berries, oatmeal, rice, brown sugar (keeps it soft), nuts, etc.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
coopy said:
I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer. It vacuums the air out of the product and seals it. Go to www.foodsaver.com. Check it out. I got mine from the kids for Christmas one year. We eat alot of venison. This is the best way I have found to put it up. Hope this helps.
Do you cook the venison before vacuum sealing it? if so, how do you prepare it?

I am looking for some good ways to preserve venison if my DH gets a deer this year!