How far would you drive???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know a lot of you drive hours for animal purchases but how far would you go for canning jars? I found an elderly lady about 1 1/2 hours from my house who has more than 10 doz jars. She used to have a peach orchard and is cleaning out her barn. She wants 4 dollars for the quarts and 3 for some smaller types she has. I already have a couple hundred quarts but I guess you can never have enough.

I think I might go get them. If anything I know I could share, save of sell them. I was wondering what else she may have in her barn??? :drool

gina

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We've driven much farther than that on occasion. It was usually a matter of if we had the time, and if we felt like taking the drive. My wife and I would make it a mini sight seeing trip and plan another stop or two, just as a way to spend a little time together, away from the house.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have done it for a kombucha scoby. but I combined the trip, -planned it around other errands I needed to do in that city. And yeah--you never know whateelse she has in that barn.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the pricing. Is that $4 for all the quarts or per dozen? If is per dozen I would not make the 1 1/2 hour trip unless you could work in some extras as k0xxx suggests.
Then again I am always considering the price of gas in the equation.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I won't drive more than 1/2 hr to 45 min for much of anything. But then I live in a city. Now if I can incorporate someting else into it as k0xxx said, then it's a twofer and I'm good with it. That includes just going for a drive and enjoying it, because that can be a real nice way to relax and get away from the daily chores of the farm.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We buy new, large mouth qts for $10.00 per dozen with lids and rings......For me to drive that far, it would have to be a LARGE amount of jars for darn near free.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, exactly Skr8pn. I told her I was over an hour away and that it would have to be a pretty large quantity. She has about 10 dozen quarts, a couple dozen pints left, mayo jars(I don't can in those) and something she is calling a 3 cup jar. Not sure how many of those she has.

I asked about water baths because mine is about 10 years old and rusting. She said she had some in the barn. The problem is the barn is in the desert and she is in Leisure World at the coast. So I am not sure what she has with her.

I could visit my sister while I am up there. She would be right on the way back.

I think I will call her back and set something up. Figure out when when will have it all and go sometime next week while the kids are in school. I think old people, no offence to anyone, have a tendency to lower their prices when they know how much you appreciate their things.

Tamlyn, I let you know if I don't go.

gina