How long to keep them in the fridge?

DollDoctor

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember reading that after processing chickens you don't want to put them in the freezer right away, you want to keep them in the fridge for a day or so while they are rigor mortising or whatever. But I can't find that info now. How long should I wait? Thanks!

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not less then 48 hrs and up to 5 days. I do 4 days. You can freeze right away, but then you have to let them sit in the fridge for a few days after they are completely thawed.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes it will be tough. You must give time for rigor mortis to pass and after that the meat will start undergoing a chemical change which tenderizes it.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Back when we did it we put them in a mild salt brine in the fridge for at least 24 and up to 48 hours.
but if we were canning we just cut and canned that day and used the bones for stock.
I do think it makes a difference if it was old hens or broilers. Broilers were the ones that went in the brine in the fridge. hens went in the cans and got pressured canned same day or next. Those old hens did make the best stock and soup tho! yummy!

OH and I forgot.. I can remember my Grandma taking all the chicken fat and rendering it down a bit and pouring it thru coffee filters into jars for cooking.. looked like golden butter but make the best gravy and sauces. As a young lady my Grandmother worked for a very nice Jewish couple and they taught her about the value of Schmaltz. ;)

Latest posts