How many people are you prepping for?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
I love this, and just KNEW there were some preppers in this group! My prepping is largely mental. Every time I watch a disaster movie I get all worked up wondering what I would do and how plausible that scenario was, etc. Our group of friends has a generic bug out location just in case. We also tend to be the kind of folks that shop once a week and like to have a fully stocked kitchen. The unfortunate part is that we now have to find ourselves in a tiny apartment in a major metro area. We don't have the space to really prep for much. However we are pretty self-sufficient and have a lot of ingenuity - especially when needed. I would like to get books on edible plants in my area and how to build shelters, etc. That way I have access to the info that I need.
I prefer "self sufficient" over "prepper", but call myself both lol.... people just get really weird looks and think youre a total nut if you call yourself a "prepper" LOL Basically, I dont worry about what's going to happen, but I do think about it, plan for it, and talk to my family and friends about it. We grew up poor, so we know how to feed ourselves, but I know that there are a LOT of people who have NO clue where milk, venison, eggs, or tomatoes come from! and then there are the ones who think they are going to grow several hundred acres worth of wheat in a tiny greenhouse... at least they are TRYING to prep LOL Basically, I think the dollar will lose all value soon, and the only things that will have value are tangible things like food, clothing, shelter, medicines, precious metals, etc. I believe we will have to be self sufficient until either Jesus comes or the economy comes back (which I myself think it'll be the former option), but even in a good economy, it NEVER hurts one to be self sufficient and not rely on others.... remember a few years ago when eggs were scarce in the stores because of samonella? I had PLENTY of eggs.... same a few years before when tomatoes were short.... Like my sister in law said, "If you store it up and need it, great, and if you store it up and DONt need it, you'll still have it!"

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even tiny storms make people crazy. When Sandy came along, store shelves were bare here. Know what we had to do to prepare? Fill my water jugs and some buckets full of water. It's nice to have that level of security. Even the boyfriend likes the idea of skipping sections or products at the store. We were talking about eggs the other day and he just got a big grin and said "I haven't even looked at the egg section of the store in months!" It's nice to snub sectionsof the store. Even the boys will point out the eggs and say "mommy, we don't need eggs, huh? Because we have a bunch at home from the birds". I'd LOVE to be fully self-sufficient, but I guess we'll see how far we get without getting burned out. Apple trees will be nice though... I'm paying $7 for a small bag of apples that lasts us a week. Every little bit adds up!