How much do you charge to hatch eggs for folks?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm currently hatching for a friend. He paid me what he says we agreed upon. I couldn't remember what we agree to, but I'm not dumb enough to lowball myself that badly. I accepted it, but either will be going up on the rate or stop hatching for him altogether, likely the latter. What do you all charge to hatch eggs for people? What is reasonable rate? Do you charge by the egg, or by the chick at hatch day? What size incubator?

My incubator costs about $5 a month to run. I have a Sportsman digital, it holds 280+ depending on what kind of eggs.

Considering the cost of operations, and the constant tending, adding water, candling the eggs, setting the eggs, and everything else associated with hatching....what's a good price?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never hatched for anyone but myself. But I'm curious, did you charge by the chick, or just a set price?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I was going to charge per chick. I have no idea where he came up with the price per dozen of ONE dollar :hu He says we agreed to it, but I'm not that stupid, and i'm not going to argue either. Seriously though, it barely covers the cost of operations, much less my time. I was thinking more along the lines of 50 cents per HEALTHY(not splay legged, weak, or one toed) chick, which I feel is reasonable for my time, and if the hatch goes poorly, we share the burden of risk on that level as well rather than it being one sided. He will be selling these for $2+ per chick(depending on which market they are taken to), so I figure 50 cents is worth it, and it's a LOT less than some folks have charged. I KNOW some charge $5 a dozen, but I feel that is ridiculous when you can pretty much pay the hatcheries to get birds that price and not have to fool with delivery and pick up. One dollar per dozen set, in my opinion, is an unfair payment. It kind of insulted me :/ I was going for a more middle ground idea of a price.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mind you, I just hatched 70 out of 83 eggs for this guy that had actually sat too long(11 days). I don't like to let them sit for longer than 7 days before going in the bator, especially when they have to travel first. Some of the air cells were damaged on these bumpy backwoods roads. The other person who hatched some for him got 13 out of 90... I know what I am doing. It's worth it for him to pay me better. Or, am I just being arrogant about my abilities, and selfish wanting more money?

Either way, if he paid the other person the same....then he gave $7.50 for 13 birds or 58 cents each. He gave me not even 10 cents per bird. I hardly call that fair.

I don't know why this bugs me so bad. :/

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH heck no- he's either got a very bad memory, or he's just being a jerk! A dollar a dozen...he got the deal of the century and you.... well... you worked your behind off this creep.

So sorry, sis!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well, in his defense, he is an older guy(mid 60's)...he may have forgotten or got mixed up what we talked about. I dunno, I just know the eggs I have now, will be the last I hatch at that price EVER again. If they don't wanna pay, they don't get the birds. Hatching is more complicated than most folks realize. Heck, just managing to keep the humidity correct is a hassle when you have so many other things going most of the time. *sigh* Like I said, he is a friend, and I'd like to keep it that way, so no more hatching for him unless he pays better.

Back to the original question though...is 50 cents per healthy chick reasonable. I have had other folks asking me to hatch for them, and I need to get a price and stick to it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
HA, and I have currently gotten 3 more chicks to add to that number above :D I take great pride in my work, and getting excellent hatch rates!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your hatch percentages are awesome! And, yes - in my humble opinion .50 cents a chick is a bargain!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks fem :) :hugs I know I'm getting the shaft but...I can't wait to see this next batch that were turned for 7 days and air cells look better! :D Hatching chickies is exciting to me :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I once figured I'd charge $10/shelf per month and I have 3 shelves, but that was assuming I didn't want to hatch out anything myself. I made the mistake of putting a batch of eggs (of my own) for a customer who wanted sex-link pullets. She is yet to show up to buy them (and if she shows up now, she will get a surprise as to what I will charge too. That is the last time I ever take an order, without getting a deposit first.
I did good for 2 years with my hatching, until the darn feed store man decided to sell chicks, instead of refer them to me......which was his origional intent. He claimed he didn't make any money to speak of selling ordered chicks and had to get his profit when the customers needed to go to him for feed, so I'm on my own.
But my incubator can hold about 300 eggs, so I think $10/shelf would be nice, if I wanted to hatch out for others. As a matter of fact, I'll go on a few groups and advertise to my local farming people.

Latest posts