How old is too old? Goat breeding question

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When my daughter got her goats, she had planned on breeding them, but it never happened. Of course, we had also planned on keeping them out at the farm since we didn't really have room here, but 4-H wouldn't let her show them. (Never did figure that one out since you can board your horses and still show them. :hu ) Then, DD lost interest, and they've basically just been pets and weed eaters.

One is now 7 yo, the other is 8. We have in all probability at least 2 more years here, and I don't know that I want to breed them while we were still living here. So now I'm wondering, how old is too old for a goat to be a FF? And, how old should they be when you stop breeding them. The 7 yo is a Nigerian dwarf cross, the 8 yo is a Nubian, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how many kids have they had thru their lives? more kids, the more worn out they get LOL

we breed from the day they could breed, until about age 7. when goats are older you get more and more floppy kids. that is not good. at 6 it starts to be a crapshoot. at 7 we would stop, take them to the sale or keep a few favs and put out to pasture to retire.

I would be real careful breeding at that age. plus older they may have trouble getting bred. older breeders have tons of problems, kids don't do well and possible death of doe and kids is increased.

goats are considered OLD at 7-8 definitely.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's what I thought. And, they've never been bred at all. Either one dies, the other will go out to the farm since I won't get another animal here. That way, they'd at least have the horses for company.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh good idea cause horses and goats are good companions definitely!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's my two cents: For the record, most of my experience comes with Pygmy goats who tend to live a long time.

If you really want to breed the two older girls I say give it a try. However, here's what I have discovered about older first fresheners. The first issue may be getting them to settle at all. An older doe, especially if she's had an easy life and may be a little 'overconditioned' may have fat around her ovaries which impedes ovulation. An overconditioned doe may also be more prone to dystocia. (again - relating this to pygmy goats) And, last but not least, fat can get their hormones out of whack. Not always, but just something I'm mentioning-especially in an older gal. Do your ladies cycle regularly? That would be something to start watching.

Also, I'd try to find a smaller buck as these older does are not always as 'flexible' as the younger ones. I'd definitely suggest being present for the birth. You never know when just a little assist will make the difference. Another reason to be there is to make sure the baby(s) get cleaned up and get a good suckle. First time moms of any age sometimes just don't know what to do. If it is a difficult delivery they may not even be interested in the baby until they start to feel better.

This past April I had a 14 yo doe give birth to a large single buck. She had no problems delivering and raised him to weaning age. However, she has kidded several times previously. I've routinely had 8 - 10 year old does give birth. One thing I've noticed with some of these older gals is that tend to lose condition more easily than a younger doe, so I make sure they get plenty of high quality feed/hay.

Bottom line: there's certainly no guarantee with goats of any age.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That's what I thought. And, they've never been bred at all. Either one dies, the other will go out to the farm since I won't get another animal here. That way, they'd at least have the horses for company.
Goats usually far prefer Goat company over horse company- just because there is a body in the field doesn't mak it a companion, especially if the goat hasn't been friends with horses before. A goat who has spent her life with another goat will terribly miss and pine for her goat company.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Here's my two cents: For the record, most of my experience comes with Pygmy goats who tend to live a long time.

If you really want to breed the two older girls I say give it a try. However, here's what I have discovered about older first fresheners. The first issue may be getting them to settle at all. An older doe, especially if she's had an easy life and may be a little 'overconditioned' may have fat around her ovaries which impedes ovulation. An overconditioned doe may also be more prone to dystocia. (again - relating this to pygmy goats) And, last but not least, fat can get their hormones out of whack. Not always, but just something I'm mentioning-especially in an older gal. Do your ladies cycle regularly? That would be something to start watching.

Also, I'd try to find a smaller buck as these older does are not always as 'flexible' as the younger ones. I'd definitely suggest being present for the birth. You never know when just a little assist will make the difference. Another reason to be there is to make sure the baby(s) get cleaned up and get a good suckle. First time moms of any age sometimes just don't know what to do. If it is a difficult delivery they may not even be interested in the baby until they start to feel better.

This past April I had a 14 yo doe give birth to a large single buck. She had no problems delivering and raised him to weaning age. However, she has kidded several times previously. I've routinely had 8 - 10 year old does give birth. One thing I've noticed with some of these older gals is that tend to lose condition more easily than a younger doe, so I make sure they get plenty of high quality feed/hay.

Bottom line: there's certainly no guarantee with goats of any age.
Very good advice.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Blaundee said:
Denim Deb said:
Goats usually far prefer Goat company over horse company- just because there is a body in the field doesn't mak it a companion, especially if the goat hasn't been friends with horses before. A goat who has spent her life with another goat will terribly miss and pine for her goat company.
They both used to be at the farm, so they're used to horses.