How to create a/c and refrigeration the low tech way

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's been years since I have been to this guy's site. After a brain numbing read (I'd rather have just the facts simply put) I found these drawings. You'll have to scroll down a bit to see them.

Happy reading! Maybe Wally and some other brains on here will comment whether they think some of this guy's designs will work as well as he thinks they should.

http://mb-soft.com/public3/selfsuff.html#refrig

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
COOL! Maybe for the new house! DH wants AC. I could live without it, but this way will make both of us happy!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The major problem I see with the cooling system is that you usually need it when there is no wind.. :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
The major problem I see with the cooling system is that you usually need it when there is no wind.. :)
I'd gladly send you some of my wind. (my husband is sitting behind me, cracking up) I'm talking about some of our wind here in Kansas.
I've wanted to build a VAWT for a long time, sure would like to try this to see how the refrigeration worked. My husband is questioning whether that air is going to cool down fast enough by the time it gets back to the refrigerator box. Sounds like the guy has done a boat load of figuring, but a temp drop of 41 degrees has both of us wondering....

Of course, cooling the house with ambient soil temps would work - our deep soil is 56 degrees.