How to re-enter the work force after a 12 year hiatus

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I loved the temp work when I did it. I was 6 years at home raising children, rabbits, chickens, goats and farming for our needs.
When I had to go back to work all my volunteer work looked good on my resume but seems like everyone thought I did not NEED to work. When I started the temp thing I stayed with it for almost 2 years even though I was offered several full time jobs. After 2 years that perfect job came through and I was there for 11 years.
Until I moved. Boy I hated giving up that job.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I think the good thing about a temp agency for me would be just to get current work on my resume.
That's exactly why my sister did it -- different situation than yours, but she had been in college and 2 yrs of grad school so had no work experience other than part-time job in high school, and was feeling pretty wobbly from having hated grad school and had a miserable time before quitting, and REALLY did not want to have to put herself through a frustrating Real Job Search at that point in life. She was really just looking for some recent work experience. Just happened that one of the jobs turned out to "stick" :)

About resumes -- I have not the faintest idea what the current preferences are, but when I was in academia we were told to urge our advisees to construct their resumes with emphasis not on what the job was called or what its duties were, but what SKILLS and RESPONSIBILITIES and ACHIEVEMENTS they exercised there. I would think this might be extra important if you've been out of the job market a little while.

Resume- and cover-letter-writing are such foolishly trend-driven and artificial arts that I would STRONGLY suggest doing some googling to find online advice as to what companies are expecting to see right now in 2008-2009 (which will be different than last year, or last decade, or anything else, stupidly enough).

Good luck,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
miss_thenorth said:
I think the good thing about a temp agency for me would be just to get current work on my resume.
That's exactly why my sister did it -- different situation than yours, but she had been in college and 2 yrs of grad school so had no work experience other than part-time job in high school, and was feeling pretty wobbly from having hated grad school and had a miserable time before quitting, and REALLY did not want to have to put herself through a frustrating Real Job Search at that point in life. She was really just looking for some recent work experience. Just happened that one of the jobs turned out to "stick" :)

About resumes -- I have not the faintest idea what the current preferences are, but when I was in academia we were told to urge our advisees to construct their resumes with emphasis not on what the job was called or what its duties were, but what SKILLS and RESPONSIBILITIES and ACHIEVEMENTS they exercised there. I would think this might be extra important if you've been out of the job market a little while.

Resume- and cover-letter-writing are such foolishly trend-driven and artificial arts that I would STRONGLY suggest doing some googling to find online advice as to what companies are expecting to see right now in 2008-2009 (which will be different than last year, or last decade, or anything else, stupidly enough).

Good luck,

Pat
HRDC also has resume building "workshops" that I can go to, and I can make an appointment to discuss re-entering the workforce, so I think I will do that too. I agree with your statement about resumes and cover letters being trend driven....

As I was thinking about this this afternoon, I wondered if I just approach this like I did when I was just geittng out of high school ( I took two years off before going to college)

Thing is --I don' care what kind of a job I get. Don't want CAS again--too stressful, and I don't have patience or tolerance anymore. I would prefer something that I don' have to dress up for so I don't have to replenish my wardrobe. Ohhhhh, it will be so much much easier when I actually have a job.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Don't forget to check into any local Universities, government agencies and local government contractor's for temp jobs- they frequently hire for the term of a contract or job. Do you have the skills to do some teaching at a local college or adult ed?

Maybe though you could work a trade for someone who could do the repairs you need? An exchange of services or goods?
I don't know how much you work would cost- probably a lot due to needing heavy equipment?

Maybe you could post about your leaking problem and someone here could help you with more reasonable solutions?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Naa, the basement doesn't need any heavy equipment. The water line to the barn broke and backwashed into the basement. There is black paper is all around the poured concrete foundation. (caan't think of the proper name righ now) When the paper gets we, it acts as a wick and ALL the paper around the foundation is wet--well at least alot of it is. Our basement is completely finished. So that means ripping out the drywall, ripping off the black paper, killing any mold growing, and then refinishing the drywall.

We are do it yourselfers, so we won' be paying anyone o do it, but it still is going to cost alot. Insurance is such a rip I could just scream, but it is a necessary evil. I don;t understand why though when they won't pay to fix things :rant .

Our neighbour also has a home repair business and has offered to help if we need it-ironically--they had the same problem in their basement (different reason for the water, but same outcome) and their insurance company paid for it. :rant :rant.

anyways, it is what it is and we will do what we need to do.

No skills for teaching--nearest university is an hour away.

Something will come up, I'm sure.

Edited b/c my T is sticking

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Google "skills based resume."

You want to put your best foot forward on your resume, and if you haven't worked for a while you'll want to highlight your skills. Also think about any volunteering you have done and detail some of the responsibilities that has required.

You can still use your previous work experience, but it might be best to omit dates and emphasize skills and responsibilities. If you are still in touch with anyone you have worked with, contact them and see if you might use them as a reference.

I just started back to work after a 12 year break. It took me about three months to find a job. It can be done. My strategy was to set aside two hours a day to work on looking. Once I started interviewing, I made sure I sent out two new resumes for every interview I went on.

Best of luck to you. :)

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also its important to network, sometimes your friends may know someone who is looking to hire and that can land you a good job. As for your absence from the work force as long as you've got volunteer experience add that.

I've always heard its easier to get a job, if you already have a job. I'm not saying take the first job offered, but definatly don't become complacment in whatever job you take. Always keep your eyes and ears open for something better!

Can't wait to hear about the great job you land!