How to remove the hair or skin etc from hog legs, feet, tail and ears

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a good friend that called dibs on my hog's legs, feet, ears and tail for some good old fashioned authentic ehtnic cooking. She is a fantastic chef with lots of worldly cooking experience. (Not sure what exactly her plans are, but she gets the snout too when it gets cut and wrapped.)

Anyway, so before the butcher pulls out of my drive he hands me what I asked for, sept it is still hairy etc. Eww! I have it double bagged up in the outside fridge at the moment.

Now, I didn't think it was a big deal until my friend says, 'how do ya get the hair off?' OH BOY! I think she is used to it being done for her at a butcher shop.

So now I get to ask you guys, 'how do ya get the hair off?' I'm ok with scalding the parts like you would to the whole hog, but I wasn't sure if that would work after the parts were, well, parted.

Is there a better way?

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't use the ears - if you pour scalding water (155*F) on them you can scrub/scrape the bristles and gunk off. The trotters I skin - lop off the toes with pruners and skin 'em out. Too hard to pull the nails off if the leg's cut off. You could scald them then too - but skinnin' is easier.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
*ofg pukes at these instrucitons*

sorry baby.. the trotters just gross me out. ick!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just get a kick out of the word trotters. Only eating experience with pig feet is the pickled, putrid-pink ones *blarg*

So, BBH, you're going to post some recipes from what your friend is doing with these special bits, riiiiight? :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sure I will!

Thanks everyone!

She gives the ears to her dogs, the rest is for soup etc. I'll give recipes soon.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never used the ears either. For some reason they are just ugly as sin! :) without being attached to the whole head and all :lol: