how to store ammo?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have several guns we are trying to stay with 3-4 types. We have 2-22 pistols, 2- 22 rifles, 1- 357, and 2- 12 guage, looking for some 20 gauge. But my question is, we are now buying ammo. What is the best way to store the ammo. I was looking at small ammo boxes but we would need many of them. Is there a better/cheaper way? Also how long will it stay good?

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:pop i am also interested in proper long term storage of ammunition. Will definitely watch for answer

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am no expert - that is DH's area, but he has always stored his ammo for his hunting rifles in ammo cans with silica gel packs. He says ammo will stay good forever, as long as it stays dry. :idunno

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
My other half who got his first gun at the age of 12 says "cool dry place." gee, that sounds like canned food storage! :gig
Seriously, really that is all there is to it, I guess. He keeps his in military ammo cans, 50 caliber and 5.56mm SAW cans, which work pretty good, and are air tight (so long as the seal is good). Each can holds approximately 1000 rounds (boxed) of 9mm, 700-800 rounds of 45 caliber boxed, or 1200-1500 of 5.56 boxed.
Since ammo is very heavy, it might be good to invest in boxes that way it isn't too difficult to rotate ammunition by keeping the boxes organized. Once the box is empty, it gets refilled and moved to the back of the line, and the oldest moved up to be opened for use.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Like we always say " Keep your powder dry!!"

Ammo cans Legos for big kids. :) Stack em high and stack em deep. :)

IMHO everyone should have a 223 in there collection.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes well....my husband would LOOOOVE to be set up like bert on tremers! But like I say, all that fire power and the threat was under the ground! Lol if we stick with 3-4 types of guns it will be easyer to stock up on ammo. I would like to have a 4-10 break over. That is what I had as a kid. And one of the 22 pistols was my gandfathers, there is a wonderfull story behind that gun! It is willed to my youngest daughter, who can shoot a 50 calaber handgun dead on at 100 yards. And she is 14 years old and 3 ft 9inch tall and as big around as toothpick! (With red hair might I add)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think you've gotten a pretty good concensus on this one from what we see thus far.

TheFan said:
Like we always say " Keep your powder dry!!" Ammo cans Legos for big kids. Stack em high and stack em deep.
and
hqueen13 said:
"cool dry place."
O and one more thing about ammo cans. Quite unpublicized in America is that the Compact Disc many folks now use or the DVD disc (same material) DOES DETERIORATE over time unless kept in something like an AMMO box. Just another use for the AMMO box if you have your precious photographs, and documents scanned onto that media. (Just food for thought)

Of course, one has to consider the concept of the use of the Ammo. Are we thinking urban/suburban combat or hunting for food? One interesting statistic from the folks in the military is that the "bullets expended to kill ratio of a sniper is generally 2:1 OR 1:1 in many cases" whereas the kill ratio of the average infantryman is "50,000:1" indicating that the sniper is somewhat more effective in his approach to dealing with the enemy. He is also really good at demoralizing them because they know that he is "selective" rather than random in his choices.

Does that mean the infantry doesn't work as well, NO, that is not what I mean. It is just what we call "a different approach", that's all. A sniper picks who he targets, and "the infantry just gets them all and lets G*d sort out the damages." Each approach has its desired effect to be sure! However, ridding a person of their "will to fight" saves lives in the long run, for both you and the enemy. Remember Lord Cornwallis's advice to a particularly brutal English Colonel when he said "you have to remember, when this is all over we are going to have to do business with these people and you don't want to make them hate us" (or words to that effect).

For my money, COOL and DRY is the unequivocal answer to your question and needs very little embellishment. How you accomplish COOL AND DRY comes in a variety of options. Go visit some old Army fort and look at the powder magazine. You'll find that they were particularly careful about that all through history.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We worry mostly about hunting for food. 22's for squirrl, rabbit, coon, ect. 12 guage for deer, turkey, ect. He uses the 357 for deer also. And all double for self protection. Our very good friend reloads our 357 shells for cost! We need to build up on them though.