How to stretch a stew?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm kind of new at this whole leftover thing.....

I have 4 cups of beef stew leftover. Mainly the beef broth, tomatoes, onions, carrots, and some potatoes. The meat is all gone. How can I stretch it into a second meal for 4 people? I'm going to brown some ground beef and dump it in and serve it with fresh bread. But I think I need to get my 4 cups closer to 6 cups. What else could I add?

Thanks,
Derby

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it stewy or soupy? If it is real thick, add more liquid. Add more potatoes, and add more carrots. You could throw in a bag froze peas or can of peas. Dumplings werent just meant for chicken.....there is that choice. V8 is a good choice for more liquid.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Add can of corn, green beans, broccoli, more potatoes & carrots is what I would do.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about peas? That's what I dumped in my kids' stew this morning that they're packing for lunch today :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup, if thick, add water and add tons of veggies....whatever you have.

serve bread or maybe make it into a grilled cheese along side...that is a filler and yummy.

maybe a fruit plate along side. I love to munch apple slices, cantaloupe slices along with dinner --( I may be wierd here but I like it..LOL)

or hold for lunch

if Tony is off work and home, I hold "smaller" leftovers that can't be stretched as lunch. still a good money deal even if it isn't covering dinner time.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great options posted so far. I also am a fan of tossing it in a casserole dish, topping it with mashed potatoes and cheese (or breadcrumbs) and baking it, like a shepherd's pie kind of thing. Or, if it's not TOO potatoey, tossing it into a casserole with some pasta and parmesan cheese and baking it to make a baked pasta and meat casserole-ish thing. Mmm.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Great options posted so far. I also am a fan of tossing it in a casserole dish, topping it with mashed potatoes and cheese (or breadcrumbs) and baking it, like a shepherd's pie kind of thing. Or, if it's not TOO potatoey, tossing it into a casserole with some pasta and parmesan cheese and baking it to make a baked pasta and meat casserole-ish thing. Mmm.
Now that sounds great!!!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yo have gotten some great replies...my advice would be to make a pie crust and turn it into a pot pie. Or cook up some pasta and serve it over the pasta along with some fresh cornbread :)
I love beef stew, but my family does not !

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Me, I'd add barley or rice and more other veggies; and/or serve a sandwich alongside it. Fried egg sandwich goes well w/soup :)

Pat

Latest posts