Hunting and fishing stories

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Feel free to share
All sorts of stories of hunting,fishing ,and outdoor life!!

So as for me its the last day to hunt with rifles I am resorting back to my Crossbow tommorow
well im not hunting tomorrow.

So feel free to share your stories and ask me questions
But I also will fish through the cold cold winter!!!

Story 1 from this morning

Got in the stand at 6:40 ish a little late then a deer and her chubby yearling came by then 3 hours and 20 boring mins later
I spooked 2 Huge does by moving my head to fast!
This afternoon i got in at 20 and didn't see anything till like 5:20
2 leans does and the same mom and yearling

Story 2 :
So After church one afternoon I went out in our rhino blind got nice and warm and bored and fell asleep lol
When I woke up, I saw a big body buck at like 25-30 yards but yet again move my head way to fast and spooked him!
PS: This story was back in bow season

;

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
BRUH
you rather take a yearling or a fawn then a big buck or doe??
Absolutely, that's how population management works. Gotta keep the antlerless population in check. In my county, the DNR has more antlerless tags available than hunters can fill. The county forester walked my property and advised DH to harvest as many as possible due to browse damage.

If we don't maintain the population, deer starve to death in winter. Gruesome.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This big red stag has been seen a few times on a property I shoot on, he is safe as the land owner doesn't want him shot, plus I can't eat antler and have shot plenty of big stags over the years, heaps of yearlings around at the moment which are the target right now as we are into Summer.

Attachments

• IMG_7317.jpeg
    IMG_7317.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 59

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My favorite was when we went camping with my parents not long after we got married. I warned my husband that we had to catch breakfast and I don't think he really believed me until we were actually there and everyone was getting their poles out in the morning.

Streams in the Eastern Oregon mountains so was brook trout with a limit of 5. I've always been good catching them and was done first as usual.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fawns will be several months old and are much more tender... They are not killing little baby nursing fawns with the spots. Here we are pushing taking more does as they are getting way overpopulated... My DS put a limit of either a 6 pt buck or bigger... or any doe (or antlerless deer). We counted over 50 of the d@#ned things in the 10 acre field across from my house a couple of years ago decimating our winter wheat cover crop... There is at least one killed on the road just below me on an average of once every 2 weeks.
Those big bucks in rut are not the best eating, as they can be gamey... most every hunter around here that goes after the "racks" does eat the meat but they make better stew meat and ground meat and steaks and roasts taste better if marinated... The smaller more tender sizes make good steaks.... and everything else.
Morally I would rather a quick shot from a rifle or a bow than the front end of my vehicle....

We killed over 10 this summer on damage permits....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay Am I dumb I don't see the point in killing an animal the size of a quail?
Have you tasted it? Two will feed me - DH usually has 3.

They're easy to raise. They grow fast and lay great. I've had them start laying eggs at 43 days old. Eggs are delicious. Meat is delicious. Best part - I can butcher one in about 3.5 minutes. Easiest meat I've ever raised!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Haven't been hunting in 30 years now. Last deer hunting week was horrible with trespassers, illegally dressed at that, and drunken idiots at the next farm over (was at my brother in laws family farm). Not enjoyable.

Last fishing was almost 10 years ago on the Tennessee River at the Tennessee/Alabama border where I caught a branch and a rusty Budweiser beer can.

This is why I focus on gardening. Lolol.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BRUH
you rather take a yearling or a fawn then a big buck or doe??

also please don't post pics of those if they are fawns

also how do you kill a baby animal? morally??

They sell lamb and veal in the store. It's more tender meat. It's life is the same as an adult. Still much older than the actual chicks (8-10 weeks old) that are commercial chicken in the store. No moral dilemma there.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was a mention that antlers make good decoration. If there is a morality question here...Isn't it more immoral to kill an animal for decoration than it is to kill an animal for food?
However, most hunters who have that rack on the wall also have a freezer full of venison and/or sausage! :drool I have no respect for those that take a trophy and leave the meat where it was shot.... If you don't want to eat it at least donate it or give it to someone who can use it.

I've harvested roaster pigs that are fairly young. Quail get butchered at 6 - 8 weeks. I sell goats for cabrito. Honor that life you take by using as much of the animal as you can.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not eat veal because of how it's raised commercially. Only time I've had it was when great uncle had a calf get injured bad enough. So it went from field to butcher.

I eat my extra chickens. The boys are ready at about 6-8 months. Many of my family won't eat them, but that's because they are silkies and they don't like the color. Mom and Dad don't care. One little bird makes dinner for 2.

Many people, even chicken people, get weirded out by my eating silkie. Taste the same as ameraucana. I fed them the same when I was raising those so can say I've had both on different days the same week to compare.

I've had quail. Enough family hunt them. I'm not sure the size was worth the effort, even if they are good. I prefer pheasant.

If I was willing to care for more animals, I'd raise rabbits. Those grow fast and big enough to be worth it. Also can serve rabbit and everyone will think it's chicken.

We had some pronghorn antelope a few years ago. Last animal Dad went hunting for and he shared it. Didn't taste much different to deer and elk to me. I grew up eating those regularly.

I've thought about trying for a deer tag. Take out one of the pests that eat my garden. Have to bow hunt here, though. So sit in silkie coop and wait instead of on porch.