Hunting dog getting spoiled

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So not only my wife but my neighbors have decided that my 24x7-365 outdoor freerange hunting dog needs to be spoiled. Today I called him and he came running from across the road with a deer leg in his mouth. Apparently they were butchering a deer over there and decided my hunting dog needed a leg.

I catch him often at the neighbors house also. They have children and my hunting dog just loves kids. I was told the kids play with him and pet him, give him treats and if he's not at their back door when they get up the morning the kids get all concerned about him.

I put food in his bowl out in the barn along with a bowl of water I keep topped off. Over the last several weeks I've not needed to fill his bowl several times and even though I'm slowly starting to.put weight back on, my hunting dog is getting fat. He's got to be getting food from somewhere.

My wife and I hang out in the cave and my wife calls my hunting dog, who is supposed to be outside all the time to come in with her. Just now she said I'm going to buy him a dog bed and put it in here. I just shook my head and sighed, she what? I said oh nothing.

I mean why fight it?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_20201020_193133761.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... I kid you not. My hunting dog is in the cave with me right now. I get a call from my next door neighbor asking me where Baxter (my hunting dog) is. I said he's right here with me. But he's pacing the floor, keeps going from the door to the window whining. John (my neighbor) says well let him out, we got left over catfish for him, he's always here for catfish. I smack myself on the forehead. I give up... Everyone wants to spoil my hunting dog. I'm not even going to try and fight it any longer, it's a loosing battle.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's Officially Spoiled!

I went into to town to day. He ran up the road beside the truck for a 1/2 mile before he gave up the chase. I clocked him running 35 MPH in the ditch.

When I came back home, he was a little bit further up the road maybe a mile and must have heard me coming. He comes running out of a pasture with a rabbit in his mouth.

He ran beside the truck all the way home. When I got out of truck, he dropped the big ole rabbit at my feet, then sat and wagged his little nub. I patted him on the head and said in a happy reassuring voice: Oh what a nice present you brought me, good boy Baxter! He started doing his little happy dance. It's where he spins around barking.

So I put the rabbit on the hood of my truck and went into the cave and gave him one of my beef snack sticks, which he loves and he was very happy. I skinned the rabbit and put in a freezer bag and tossed in the freezer. He crushed it head, no injury to the body at all :(

But how much more hint does a guy need? The poor guy wants to go hunting, I guess I'll have to take him pretty soon. Now if I could just train him to bring me a whole deer, that would be really be great 🤣
IMG_20201213_234241827.jpg