Hurricane Season- Your experiences or Handy Tips about them

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Since it is hurricane season- I thought a thread about it might be a good idea. Anybody is welcome to post tips to help things go safer or recover easier- or just talk about their experiences with hurricanes.

I grew up in central Florida, so when the coasts got the hurricanes -we felt pretty safe. Took lawn chairs and stuff like that inside, bought some water, some canned goods, emergency candles and batteries for the flashlight. . . . Then you wait it out, and pick up some stray branches and some trash the next day. A few people would get roof damage from old or weak trees falling over, but that would make the news. Your lights might blink a few times or you might lose power for part of a day. The general advice was to have a full freezer so the stuff would stay cold till the power was on again. Sometimes a community would have a boil water alert for a while.

I always felt safe, after all, I lived far in from the coast. It wont happen here . . . Hurricanes always lose power by the time they hit Orlando. :) After all, the last one that hit Orlando hard was in the 1950's- before I was even born. There was unwritten rule that hurricanes leave it alone.

2004 broke the rule. Charley was the first hurricane in 40 years to still be dangerously strong - in Orlando. It arrived on Friday, August 13th, 2004.
Hint- When a hurricane is coming on Friday 13th, it might be a bad one. :hide Around lunchtime- they said the hurricane was turning NW and would go through Orlando. I got off work early, cleared the yard, trimmed some branches and stuffed them in trash cans. I put the cans against the house in the walled courtyard. They were under the roof drip-line so the rains would fill them and weigh them down. It actually worked- got lucky.

By late afternoon, the storm tracker radar was saying it would get to my neighborhood at 10:20 pm. They were right.
The winds were howling by 9:30. It got pretty wild around my old place. I made myself remember the prep stuff I'd done. Then I looked at the pets, cause they tend to find the best spots around to weather storms. They were still in the room- which was reassuring. Then I remembered that I'd already asked for protection from the storm, and got calm. The electric went off when the eye was close.
At 10:18, I heard a new sound. WOMFFF WOMFFF WOMFFF I fell asleep soon after that. I didn't find out what that sound was till morning. Found out Charlie's wind speeds were clocked at Orlando's airport at 105 mph. They were probably weren't too much below that in the neighborhood.

Woke up once, used a candle to get to the bathroom, then tried to look outside. Opened the door and couldn't see anything but black. Not even stars. . . .
Opened the door in the morning and everything was green in front of me- instead of black. Couldn't see the sky. Walked around a bit, and realized that we had 3 big oak trees- laying on their sides, in the front yard. It was challenging to find any of the driveway, . . . or the yard. Realized that when a entire leafy oak tree gets uprooted and laid over by the wind it sounds like WOMFFF. We had 3 nice wide tree trunks sideways between the house and the street. It was only about 30 feet from the front door to the sidewalk.
2 of them weren't our trees either, but Mother Nature was feeling generous, so we got them. I learned to use a chain saw.
Checked the phone lines and told the family I was okay. Later that day the phone didn't work. We only had service half the time for a week. Same situation with the cell phone because of overloaded networks.

Hurricanes Frances, and Jeanne also got to Orlando soon after. :( Once the 40 year lucky streak was ended- we made up for lost time.
I missed work each time from the bus system shutting down and road closures. Some of the roads were closed off from trees and downed power lines.
- Mass transit was suspended during the hurricane and 3 days afterwards, till they assessed the damages, to see if the roads were safe to travel.
Speaking of power lines- our electric was off for 10 days. I had lots of candles, and some tiki torches and oil to see with.
I got food poisoning once from guessing Wrong :sick if something was still safe to eat. Pitched the rest of the frig contents when I recovered.
I got real tired of cold showers too.

Tips-
Power failure meals- My job had a good generator and got grid power back a week before my home did. I made hot food at work. Put some frozen dinners in in my lunch bag and stuck it in the freezer. I ate stuff that didn't need cooked at home or heated up the grill and cooked on it. Pans can go on the grill too but smear soap on the bottom so they will wash easier.
Communication- Charged my phone at work (turned off so they wouldn't notice). Make calls quick so other people can use the network too.
Hot showers- Got a solar shower bag later. I Love it! Fill it, put it outside in the AMand let the sun heat it up. Hang it on a strong shower curtain bar later when your ready to shower in your real bathroom. Or hang it from a strong tree branch and shower in a bathing suit. You could make a privacy curtain for more options.
Repairs- Have a couple big tarps for emergencies. The stores will run out of them after the storm.
Have a chain saw too if you have trees or live near them.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Remembered how I made it safer to keep a candle going at night. I put about 4 inches of sand in a big pottery pot and pushed the 7 day candle jar down into that. That acted as an anchor so the candle couldn't fall over. Then set the pot in the sink at night since there wasn't anything flammable nearby. This sink didn't have a window, so no curtains. I did this so I would have a nightlight during the power failure.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My favorite "emergency lighting" is those little solar cell LED lights people line their sidewalks with. They charge during the day and are on all night.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
My favorite "emergency lighting" is those little solar cell LED lights people line their sidewalks with. They charge during the day and are on all night.
I agree that these are the best- pretty cheap and safe.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The summer of 2004 was quite a doozy! We lost power a couple of times, one time for a week (the power at both of our jobs was out too so we were home all week). Luckily we were able to run the fridge with the motorhome generator. During one of the hurricanes our power line was ripped down at the house and was laying across our driveway - but we still had power! Scared the crap outta me, but hubby was out there stepping over it like it was nothing. :ep

We ate lots of cold meals - sandwiches and stuff, and ate lots of takeout. It was too hot to contemplate cooking anything on the grill. Pools work great for taking a bath!

A funny... when Charlie was approaching, my brother went to Orlando to attend a hurricane party (of course, at that time they weren't thinking Charlie would hit Orlando - I think it was supposed go further north). He said he rode out the hurricane in the bathtub... scared the pants off of him!

I guess the only tip I have is to be very, very careful with chainsaws and climbing trees. I think it was after Charlie, a neighbor of my parent's climbed up into a tree to trim out a broken limb. He slipped and caught his neck in the "v" of the tree and snapped his neck. Killed him instantly.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
They are good, but I didn't have any and was getting home from work late night. I used what I had. They used to call them 7 day candles but they whip the wax now so they don't last near a long. It usually is gone in about 4 days.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a jolly good time here in '04 as well, particularly with Ivan the terrible. I actually LOVE storms (hate the aftermath) so I sat out on my parent's covered back porch pretty much all night. I made occasional trips out to the barn to check on the horses, until the pecan tree along my path was split in half and blocking the way :ep
We lost several pecan trees, a pine tree, part of a pecan tree and about half of a pear tree. The top tier roof blew off my barn and the fence around my parents pool was IN the pool (chain link but with those aluminum privacy strips). The pine tree took out the power line coming from the street directly to the house and it pulled the meter box off the wall. The power company doesn't repair meter boxes so good luck finding an electrician after a major hurricane! We were without power for 4 weeks. I worked overnights at the hospital so I would hurry home and try to sleep a couple of hours before the heat got ridiculous, then I would help my dad clearing trees until it got a little cooler in the evening and he ran the generator for my fan (and the freezers). Our whole neighborhood had power - except us. Finally, once the hospital was up and running smoothly, they let their maintenance and electrical guys hire out to employees so we got our meter box fixed.

No real tips other than the standard "first 72 is on you" - water, food, meds, supplies for children and pets - don't use grills or generators inside or in closed in areas, etc.

I was concerned about the pasture fence being taken out by trees, and I knew nobody would be able to catch my crazy horse Babe, so I used a big fat permanent marker to write my phone number on the sides of both horses (one white, one flea bitten grey). Now that I have chickens I figure I will use the cat carriers and big wire kennel to set them up in the garage. The rabbits can come inside. We'll ALL be at my parents house since I live in a trailer under 2 pecan trees!

S

sunsaver

I don't worry so much about power outages anymore. Because i'm off-grid solar with maintenance free agm batteries, my power never goes out unless the daytime temps stay below freezing for long periods of time. Frozen batteries don't work very well. For back-up lighting, those Aladdin kerosene lanterns work great, and are as bright as a 40 watt light bulb. LED camping lanterns make great night lights for the toilet and kitchen. I always stay well stocked with canned goods and dried beans, rice, fruits, and nuts. I guess 'im preparedness obsessive compulsive. But when my neighbors are all running to the grocery store in a panic, i'm always able to stay home and avoid the traffic jams. I live in north Louisiana, so when the storms hit we usually just get rain and tropical force winds, a few power outages, but it's never scary windy. Ice storms are a common cause of extended power outages. Hail from thunderstorms are the greatest threat to my solar panels.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its always a good idea to go around the yard and pick up everything that isn't fastened down. DH and I are both civil service and unfortunately he hadn't been relieved of his duties for Gustave when it was really getting near and I was busy tending 2 small children and picking up tools, lawnmowers, garbage cans, etc and arranging them in sheds in the most orderly way possible.
Its a really good idea to have extra propane because you don't know how you will be cooking when its over. It will probably be really hot and you might not want to cook inside. We used the grill and burner on our pit a lot to keep things cool.
I like to make sure every gas tank is completely full weather in a vehicle or spare tank. A whole house generator is nice, but if they shut off the gas, its good to have a small generator that at least runs your bare necessities, and then you will need a gas or other fuel source for it. We cyphoned out the surburban to run our house after Gustave.
But there are a lot of special batteries one can obtain that are supposed to run major appliances for X amt of time in an outage, which have to be charged prior to the storm. I am thinking of looking into those for a daughter I have living near campus.
Panic shopping isn't fun. I once reached for a can of Spam and an old lady grabbed it, in my hand and said really forcefully,"That is mine!" So I took her hand, and put the can in it and said,"Here. Take it. I'm not having a fist fight over the last can of Spam @ Delchamps, for sure." As long as you have lots of meat, rice, veg oil, flours, beans and such you can do without panic shopping, provided you have emergency backup. However, if you don't, you might want to keep the freezer shut tight, with a bunch of quilts over it and not cook or at least cook as little as possible.
Honestly, I don't miss the days without a generator. I think any home which might be visited by a hurricane should obtain at least a little 350 dollar generator to keep things frozen and cold and help with a batch of clothes once a day.
I don't like to cut trees down for firewood, so I wait until Mother Nature drops them down and we go help with some clean-ups and get a couple of years amt of firewood. I think its just plain stupid to stack logs on the side of the road for the parish to pick it up and haul it off, when it can help someone warm their house in the winter.
I always fill a lot of water in whatever containers I can before the storm, but it is never necessary. Maybe when I don't do it, it will be nexessary.
I have some high ground in my coop and in the adjoining yard. It would really stink to have a bunch of drowned chickens floating around after a storm.
Even if you have an outdoor dog, it is good to have a crate to keep it in during a storm, indoors. Anyone can figure to put up with a dog for a 15 hour ride, potty them during the eye while you let him run just a bit and then put him back in for another 8 hours or so. It would be ashamed to leave an animal on a run and find him dead after the storm.
Making shutters are great ideas, because its a pain to have to start pulling out plywood outta the shed and nailling them to the windows and doors.
Keeping busy helps me, but DH always asks me,"What are you doing?" He is confused as to why I would be cleaning a house that might not be here tomorrow, but I just say that I want it clean before the power fails and I want all the clothes done, etc... Actually our home has gone thru several very strong storms and hasn't fallen yet, so I usually do think it will be here tomorrow.
Really, anything you normally need in a house, would be nice to have but in larger supplies if you expect a storm, because the supply might be out in the stores too. After Katrina we went to Wal-Mart and there was no meat or produce at all. And they were collecting money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I asked if they were also collecting money in Washington state, which confused the cashier. She wanted to know what had happened there, so I said nothing, but Katrina happened here...why we giving money to ourselves?
If you have backup power, you might want to clean your freezer and put all your things in one or 2 large boxes in a nice little corner because in all likelyhood, you will have 2 or 3 family members without power that are about to lose all their food and will need temporary storage. I think I have about 7 gallons of milk in my freezer for hurricane season right now. If a big one comes, I don't have to worry about my kids not having milk for days like after Katrina. Just buy a ;few extra gallons when you doing your regular shopping and remove one glass of milk and freeze the rest. Try to forget its there until October. If your family taps into your stash, you won't have it when you need it.
All the things one prepares for when TSHTF, is in place for a hurricane, because its gonna hit hard and fast. Just pick up everything, board up and make sure you stocked up with everything.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hint- When a hurricane is coming on Friday 13th, it might be a bad one.
My dumb asp would run outside, beat on my chest and yell "bring it on!"...Mother Nature has scolded me for this action and let me know that regardless of how I feel, I am not 10' tall and lightning proof! :gig We had a good storm roll in on us back in TN and I ran to the truck to get the windows closed. I no sooner closed the windows and truck door to have a clap of thunder boom directly overhead. Doc said my feet never touched the ground getting from the truck back up to the porch! :th

On a serious note, as just in-cases:

I'm working on extra water set back
We keep rechargeable batteries and always have a full stash of charged
LED headlamps and lanterns
Oil lamps and extra oil
Keep canned goods and crackers on hand
2 first aid kits (one in the running vehicle, one at home)
Extra food and water for the animals
Extra can of powdered Gatorade for electrolytes for us and animals
Spare stash of toilet paper and baby wipes

Gonna head back out to the fire pit, still toasty inside the camper...