hwillm1977 - MY CHICKEN IS HOME!!!!!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I thought I would give this journaling thing a try... although I probably won't be that consistent with it, it will be an interesting thing to have.

Because of our poor credit, we cannot get a mortgage... so our self sufficiency dream started by finding a person willing to rent-to-own their trailer in a trailer park... nothing fancy about living in a 12 foot wide 40 year old trailer, but it was ours and we loved it.

Then I started to think, if someone would rent to own a trailer, why not a house? So we began our search for a run down (and I mean REALLY run down, our budget was $30,000) farmhouse in the country... it took us 2 years to find someone willing to rent-to-own their house to us, and I'm happy I did because now we have 6 acres of land, a 3 bed, 2 bath house in the country built in 1883... which we managed to secure for $25,000.

It sounds nicer than it is, we don't have interior walls in most rooms, plaster has rotted and fallen out of the ceilings, when we first got here I lived alone (my husband drove long haul at that point), with no electricity, no running water, and no heat.. in November.

This journal will be a record of our adventures in re-building this house into a beautiful family home, and starting our self-sufficient life.

Here's some pictures:

The day we bought it (it had been vacant for 6 years before we got there):
front1.jpg

Kitchen, the floor here slopes 11 inches from one side of the room to the other, so cupboards don't actually close :) We plan to tear this down and build a new kitchen someday, but for now we live with this:
kitchenstove.jpg

Cupboards.jpg

The day we moved in:
ViewfromRoad.jpg

How beautiful and peaceful does this house look, I adore it... my favorite spot is my hammock on the front porch in the summer:
house.jpg

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The yard is gorgeous and the house has real potential. You've got quite a lot of work ahead of you but think of the satisfaction you'll have, knowing you did it all yourself!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
LOOK AT THAT STOVE!!!! WHAT A TREASURE!!!

good for you for taking this on.. little by little you'll get it done. cant wait to see your progress.

:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a house that looks just like yours. MIL owns it and it is right in front of our cattle pasture.

We rent it out. We just painted the exterior....but whenever we walk inside, we just sway and tilt with the floor...:p
I know what you mean.

We will eventually tear it down because it is asbestos and all the bad other things I am sure, and renovating would cost a fortune for us with this rental. It is close to (I think) 120 yrs old.

best of luck
take your time and create that wonderful home !!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
LOOK AT THAT STOVE!!!! WHAT A TREASURE!!!

good for you for taking this on.. little by little you'll get it done. cant wait to see your progress.

:)
ohhh... you guys may not like me for this, but that stove was given away... there was no bottom in the oven, two of the sides were rusted and crumbling, and had licence plates covering the holes, and it was really dangerous.

We gave it to someone who was going to restore it, and he helped us install an airtight woodstove that now keeps us warm... we can still cook on the top during power outages, but we don't have a wood oven, which I regret :)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, for $25,000, you can live in it for how ever long, pay it off, pay cash for a small trailer, tear down the house, pay off the trailer, build a small frame house and just build on. After several years, you'll have a structurally stable PAID FOR home on a wonderful acreage.

I LOVE YOUR PLACE!!!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
You have your work cut out for you but if you stick it out your rewards will be enormous.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I love your place, its really got character and you can build on that and make it yours.

I personally would try to keep it, and fix it rather than tearing it down. :D

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I love your place, its really got character and you can build on that and make it yours.

I personally would try to keep it, and fix it rather than tearing it down. :D
well it all depends on if it's sturcturally sound. if it's got problems with it's bones, it could end up a money pit.

IMG_4457-1.jpg

this was our money pit. we got it for a song, but by the time you figured rewiring, replumbing, structure damage etc, we could rebuild for about the same money and have a new house.

don't get me wrong, I LOVE old houses, but you have to know what you're getting into.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Thats a lovely house Okie. I'm a sucker for older houses, they just look nicer to me than the modern style. :lol: