Hyperemesis Gravidarum

AdamBorzy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Anyone familiar of Hyperemesis Gravidarum? My sister is under this condition.
I will gladly appreciate any suggestions, ideas or recommendations.

Adam

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel bad for her. My daughter suffered through this with her last pregnancy - and she was miserable. My only suggestion is bland, dry crackers and lots of fluids. My daughter couldn't stomach Gatorade, but what she found for hydration was coconut water. She would mix it 50/50 with water and sipped it through out the day. Coconut water is great for dehydration.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had this with both of my children, 16 and 17 years ago. With my eldest it lasted 8 months, with my second it lasted 6 months. I had it so badly that I ended up in emergency at the hospital a couple of times during my first pregnancy because I couldn't even keep down water. I got dehydrated and they had to put me on an IV to rehydrate me.

My doctor recommended eating small amounts starting as soon as I woke in the morning, so I ate small amounts every hour starting at 7am until about 2pm and then I was fine until dinnertime around 6pm. Mostly dry carbs like crackers and toast helped, but I also needed the protein so I ate a lot of peanut butter and cheese, hard boiled eggs--anything that didn't smell of garlic/onions or meat or I would throw up, I also ate a lot of fruit because it is easy to eat in small portions. Someone told me to smell cut lemons when I felt nauseous and I found this helped as well. Some will recommend taking a maternal vitamin supplement without iron during the "morning sickness" phase, but my doctor told me to keep up with the regular one that contains iron simply because I was throwing up so much and sensitive to meat smells--she wanted to make sure I didn't end up anemic.

With both of my children I did end up also taking medication once a day, first thing in the morning, it was called Diclectin and from what I hear from people who are pregnant these days it is very commonly prescribed, but when I was pregnant it was still fairly new and only prescribed in severe cases like mine. (Totally safe, my kids are just fine--brilliant really--nothing like Thalidomide or anything!) It really helped, I still needed to eat small amounts every hour starting at 7am but it helped such that I rarely threw up once I started taking it.

I really feel for your sister, it is a horrible condition (I hate throwing up more than just about anything) and it took a long time with my first pregnancy to get a handle on it--I hope she has a better (and much shorter) time of it than I did :hugs

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had it with both of my sons.. with the first homeopathy cured it in a flash. I visited a homeopath. With the second the homeopath tried several remedies but none worked. I had always been into eating healthy foods but for some dang reason I was attracted to TV dinners and that all I could keep down. If finally went away at the end of the 6th month.

Because i ate trash I think that is why my second son is attracted to trash food. Try to find anything that is wholesome, even if weird and avoid processed food and chemicals and especially gmo

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With my youngest child, I lived on Wheat Chex. Walmart now has a generic brand. None of the other chex cereals would stay down, but for some reason wheat chex did. And I second the idea of eating very small amounts throughout the day.

AdamBorzy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel really bad for her too. She can't take water but a few sip of soda which is not good for her and the baby. The last time I visited her, she's under intravenous fluid therapy again. Yes, few crackers and Gatorade but still ends throwing it up. I will have to let her drink 50/50 coconut water/water if that works for her.

This is her 3rd pregnancy. I have a feeling that this is the worst. (Sorry if I feel that way.) Shes always in this miserable condition whenever she gets pregnant. With her eldest son, it lasted for 6 months. (Now, her eldest son is off to college). We had her right ovary removed (due to a cyst) while on the 7th month of her pregnancy in her second. (Her second is now 12 years old.)

Finger crossed, I hope everything will turn out fine after 3months (she's now approaching her 2nd trimester). Yes, will see if she can stomach a few of peanut butter, cheese and hard boiled eggs.

I never heard of homeopathy but will also see if that will work too.

You've been all so helpful. Thank you.

desertcat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
For what it's worth, try bacon. As my sister says, it at least tastes the same both times. :idunno

AdamBorzy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep, bacon is good. Thanks desertcat.
Now, she can eat hotdogs, bacons and drink melon juice (preferably chilled). :D

Thanks Beekissed... I already forwarded the links to my bro in law.