I Am A Seed Hoarder

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My name is Baymule and I am a seed hoarder. :rolleyes: Watching the TV Hoarders show this morning while I perused the Whole Seed Catalog from Baker Creek, an inch thick book of glossy, colorful, I want everything, and I snapped. I realized that I had 2 buckets of seed packets and I needed to go through them. So I dragged them out.....and a basket......and a seed flat......and another basket-all full of seed packets.

I started going through them, making piles of packets. I have enough squash and tomato seeds for the rest of my life......but I desperately NEED Brad's Atomic Grape tomato seeds. I've got everything BUT yellow crookneck summer squash. Herb seeds.....I have enough to start my own seed store. I really NEED to make that herb garden in 2019!!!

Corn-I'm good. I have plenty of my Painted Mountain and a generous bag of seed from @thistlebloom that I WILL get planted in the 2019 garden! And I found a packet of Anasazi corn that will get planted after the possibility of cross pollination is past. I found a packet of that purpley-black Morado corn that I was about to order.....I must plant that too-maybe for a fall crop.

Carrots. :th WHY do I have so darned many packets of carrots? :he I am a carrot failure…..I must be an eternal optimist because I got a crap load of seed. Maybe I'll just toss them ALL out and see what happens. Maybe I'll even get a carrot or two to snack on.:drool

English peas. YAY! :weee I found two packets and some yellow sugar peas too. Those are DEFINATELY getting planted in mid February 2019!! I found a baggie of brown crowder peas and a bag of purple hull peas. I planted purple hull peas last year and had a good crop. A friend called yesterday to tell us that they were feasting on purple hull peas with lots of onion and ham chunks in it. I gave them a dozen bags of frozen peas and they were thrilled. I will plant them again!

I didn't find any of my very, very favorite mustard green seeds, the Giant Red (that are really purple) so I get to order MORE seed!!! :) While I'm at it, I can order some of that purple leafed Baby Bok Choy that looks so scrumptious. I did find a baggie of turnip seeds I saved so don't need to order any. ;)

Beets! I have been quite the failure at beets, although last year I got enough to can 4 pints. :\ I have plenty of seed of several different varieties, so 2019 is the year they ALL get planted. They will grow or they wont. :idunno

Cucumber seeds, yeah, I got those too. I planted some for 2018 and got a respectable amount, enough to make my favorite pickles and to give to a friend and teach her how to make pickles too. I still have enough seed for the next few years. Maybe......since the seeds are getting a little old I should plant them all and feed the extra to the sheep, horses, chickens, neighbors.....BWA-HA-HA-HA :clap

Beans.….yup, got lots of those too that need planted to keep them fresh. Been wanting some of those fascinating looking winged beans AAAAANNNND I found a packet of those too! :woot I found seed to the 3'long green beans I like to grow, that I didn't grow last year, so they will be planted for 2019. DH LOVES them and I get sick and tired of them. By September or October I think if I eat another dad-burned green bean, I'm gonna toss my cookies. :sick The blamed things are hateful and make oodles of 3' long instruments of stomach torture until a HARD killing frost way up into November or even December. :smack

I have Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli and Cauliflower seeds galore. :celebrate I love all of those, now all I gotta do is plant and grow them! I haven't been able to figure out the optimum time to plant those since we've been here. My fall gardens that used to thrive at our old house, freeze to mush here and give me nothing. :tongue

I even have lots of @seedcorn's favorite, KALE. Why? :idunno What was going through my head that I need 8 packets of kale seed, of several different varieties? :confused: I have 3 packets of cabbage seed that was "free" for making an order. I suppose I should plant them too, I always bought started plants and planted them in my successful fall garden at the old house. Here, I just got to the point of frozen mush. :somad Maybe spring planting is the answer.

Eggplant, I only have a few, opened and remnants in the packet. WTH, I'll plant them too. Start over on eggplant in 2020. I haven't had much luck with eggplant since moving. Maybe 2019 is the year!

I have enough lettuce seed to turn us into rabbits. I had a good start going last spring, but wonky weather killed them off.

Melons, I am well stocked. The best melons I've grown yet were the 2018 season, from watermelon rinds tossed over the fence to two large hogs we had in the fall of 2017. With no help or care from me, they came up, produced and gave us and neighbors sweet, delicious watermelons. Maybe I have this whole garden thing all wrong? Should I just throw vegetables to pigs for them to plant and fertilize for me? It sure worked for the watermelons!

Okra, I don't grow. It is too easy to buy a half bushel from our friend with a vegetable stand and put them all up at once. He picks it that morning, I have it in the freezer that afternoon. Done. :thumbsup

Peppers, sweet and hot-yup, plenty of those too. Radishes, uh-huh, loaded with them.

That stupid Hoarders TV show.... :smack I was all geared up to go seed shopping. But NOOOOOOO I had to go get all organized. :hit Instead of making a big seed order, I'm scratching to even find something to order. I am looking longingly at that gorgeous Whole Seed Catalog, with all the pretty pictures that for some reason, my paltry efforts never seem to look like..... :(

Waiting on spring...….:barnie

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain! I have more tomato seeds than I could ever plant and when I try the stinkin' stink bugs eat 'em up. Beans....tons of beans, bush beans and pole beans. I need to find my yard long ones - I love 'em and they are the bean that keeps on giving and giving and giving... My best melons were from tossing cantaloupe to the pigs - but ants got most of 'em before I did - so I tossed those back to the pigs too, lol. Maybe they'll come up this spring. Was thinking about putting out some carrot seeds pretty soon and maybe even some sugar snaps of some kind...if I get around to it. Would just be a crazy experiment anyway - have never planted early peas this early. I have an entire produce drawer in my extra fridge full of seeds. Some didn't make it to the fridge and are in a storage tote in the breezeway. The stupid dog even found a bag of bean seeds and had it strewn about in the yard the other day. I rescued 'em...twice, lol. Didn't know the dog was that fond of beans!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying it... only place I have space for is in a raised bed. The bed is only 4 x 8 but I can probably get at least three...maybe 4 rows in there. I need to bring up some barn rakings to go in there and mix in with the oil...not sure if it'd be too soon to plant if I mix the poo with the dirt - but the poo is well aged so it might be just right. Only have two more days off... and still so much to do!!

GypsyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I usually have to purchase seed every year because I can never settle on one variety of anything and they cross-pollinate. I always find new varieties I want to try too. I live not that far down the road from Baker Creek, and when I go to their spring and fall festivals I always end up spending way more than I intend in their seed store! I have been sitting here this evening thumbing through all of the awesome unusual and exotic plants in the One Green World catalog. I think I am going to try out yacón, Autumn olive, pink blueberries, and sea berries... I'm going to try to stop at that! Lol