I am a sprouting fool!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farmerchick, like you dont have evough to do allready!!!:D

Cassandra, I don't have those exact seeds in my book but I think the only way to know is try them. See if you like the flavor. I know they say you should try as you grow so you know at what stage you like the sprouts.

Sufficient-- I did a google search on samonella in sprouts and yes there have been documented cases of food born illness in sprouts. I think what you need to remember is that "purchased foods" that travel through many hands over great distance will ALLWAYS have a greater chance than what you grow at home your self. I think its the same school of thought that tells us not to drink raw milk. To each his own!!

I did try and take some pics but my camera flash is not working. I will try again. gina
333_img_4703_1.jpg

This is this weeks batch of alfalfa and my wheat grass.

333_img_4705_1.jpg

This is my soup toureen with the bowl and weight. When I rinse I use my square of screen material and a huge rubber head band I store from my girls. Notice the bowl sitcking up. They push it out, strong little buggers.
333_img_4712_1.jpg

these are my bean sprouts yesterday day 5. Today I will use my salad spinner to soak and rinse off the hulls. Very easy, then spin off extra water and put in the fridge.

I hope these help. :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, I just wasn't sure and had not done any research where the issue lies. I have no problems with raw milk or sprouting I have had both :D just was curious if it was a seed or handling issue.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can this be a self-propogating method of food production? I mean, would it be feasible to grow some of the plants until they produced more seeds or do you have to buy your new seeds every time?

Cassandra

EverythingPrepared

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an ebook available titled Basic Sprouting Guide by food storage guru James Talmage Stevens that is pretty helpful.

Basically, you can start with a jar. Soak the seed for a few hours and rinse. Then, repeat this a few times on the first day. Then rise off the seed 2-3 times a day until you are ready to eat. We use a mason jar, pantyhose cutting, and a jar ring. It works great.

There is more information in the ebook.

There are a variety of sprouting seeds available on the market. Just choose what you like. Just don't use the ones in the garden department. Some of those have been treated with chemicals to preserve them and can be poisonous.

Latest posts