I built my rocket stove, now how do I light the durn thing????

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard they were rather tricky.

Some tips on the last page, 3rd paragraph from the bottom.
http://www.rocketstoves.com/pdf/pocketrocket.pdf
Light the corner of a piece of crumpled newspaper and push it down the feed under the area of the flue. Flames should be drawing up the flue pipe. Slowly feed more burning newspaper to burn at the bottom of the feed tube. Add a little more newspaper then a few pieces of kindling, standing upright in the feed hole. The object is to keep the draft going in the same direction: into the flue. Add more fuel. You can regulate airflow into the stove with a
piece of sheet metal a little larger than the pipe. There are many ways to enhance the burn quality. Experiment!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh yeah!! That worked!

Seems silly that I didn't think of that! :p DUH!!

BTW, it is burning wood easily now and there is absolutely NO SMOKE! Way cool!! I have it on my back deck and I am sure I will be using it all summer long. Yep, I'm excited!!!

Thank you Ldychef!!!

Now if this crazy rain would stop for just a bit I can get that old red rooster in the scalding pot tonight! If it is not one thing it is another with the butchering of that rooster! :rolleyes: I wanted to do it this weekend but we had monsoons on all three days off. :/ (In a way I was relieved! :hide Although, I will have no more excuses when the rain goes away.)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The pictures might inspire me, I have had the fire bricks for months :hide and they are still sitting where I unloaded them...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My daughter actually built it. She is 13, that is how easy it was. She also helped me break the pavers with a hammer.

The "stand" is 4 ugly (moss covered) cinder blocks...I admit nice, new ones would look so much better, especially if it is "on display" on the deck like mine is.

I used 16 fire bricks to build the stove part and then used the 2 pavers (broke in half) as a base for my cookware. Ldychef has photos of hers on her thread "Rocket stoves rock!".

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I finally made mine, I posted on the wrong post if you want to see pics, Its on "rocket stoves rock" post. It was tricky to light but of course my child had no issues at all, like "DUH MOM". That is why we hide the matches around here :D

Latest posts