I can't get peanut butter

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We have several jars of pb stocked in our pantry and plenty of sugar.......so we are good. Just need to add on the flour situation and we will be good........
Same here. I make wine so I have about 75 lbs. of sugar put up. I have been buying it fresh as long as it is still reasonable. Time to do another batch of hard cider so I need to pick up some more soon.
The only flour I haven't been able to stock enough is Rye. Difficult to find as most grocery stores around here don't stock it. I have three or four friends watching shelves for me and occasionally I get a call that this store or the other has it. I swoop in and clean off the shelf. :cool:

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We pay $6.49 for PB here (store brand)... but it's a HUGE jar... 2kgs, so I think that's 4.4 pounds. Hubby eats one of those jars every two weeks, it makes me ill. I'm growing peanuts next year and he'll have to eat my natural peanut butter next year. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
BarredBuff said:
We have several jars of pb stocked in our pantry and plenty of sugar.......so we are good. Just need to add on the flour situation and we will be good........
Same here. I make wine so I have about 75 lbs. of sugar put up. I have been buying it fresh as long as it is still reasonable. Time to do another batch of hard cider so I need to pick up some more soon.
The only flour I haven't been able to stock enough is Rye. Difficult to find as most grocery stores around here don't stock it. I have three or four friends watching shelves for me and occasionally I get a call that this store or the other has it. I swoop in and clean off the shelf. :cool:
We have around 70 to 80 pounds in storage, right now we have 45 lbs of various flours (Bread, Self Rising, All Purpose). 10 lbs of salt. I need to freeze some yeast to use.................

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked up four jars of Jiff at Sams last week. 2 lbs 8 oz s each.. .. I checked prices at store yesterday and they hadn't jumped yet.. I also picked up a 10 lb pound of sugar. I think I have 60 lbs of white sugar right now and about 5 lbs of brown.. Next trip will pick up some more..
I need a few more of the xxxx confection sugar too.
I have my white sugar still in their bags.. should I dump them in to a gamma bucket with a big maylar bag in it????? or just leave them in their paper bags...

I think I'm good on flour right now.. I have a good assortment of bread flour , cake flour and all purpose flour in freezer.. Plus a couple hundred lbs each of red and white wheat..
We are also working on water storage.. Hubby wants to buy the 5 gallon jugs at store to put back.. I also have a bunch stored from tap.. plus the plastic bottles that come from sams..
darn water takes up a lot of room.. LOL

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On the subject of peanut butter - I have two jars, which will probably last us a couple of years :lol:. DH doesn't eat it, and I sometimes get a craving, but it is soon over. Its used mostly in Indonesian sauces, or to bait mousetraps.

On the subject of sugar - for those who aren't aware of this - if you have white sugar and molasses, you also have brown sugar. Mix a tablespoon or so of molasses into a cup of sugar, more or less depending on how dark/light you want your sugar. If using in a recipe you could even add the sugar and molasses separately, and get the same effect. Mix it in a food processor or with a mixer if it has to look like store bought; just use a fork if looks don't matter. For confectioners' sugar you can grind a cup up in a blender; it might not get quite as fine as the commercial stuff, but for most purposes it will be just fine. To be authentic you could add some corn starch, but I have never felt the need. If I am going to be eating white sugar I may as well eat the unadulterated stuff :lol: