I got a Family Grain Mill!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a Family Grain Mill and so far I love it! I say so far, because I used it one time, made 2 loaves of bread and then my oven died. :he I have one on order, maybe it will show up next week. I will come back after the oven gets installed and let ya'll know more about the mill.

2536_family_grain_mill.jpg

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations! We have the same one and love it :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, the oven was delivered yesterday afternoon and is being installed now. Naturally the hole in the cabinet is not the same size for the new oven, so adjustments must be made. I don't care at this point, if it is propped up on a barstool, just wire it up and let me get to cookin' !!!! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Stinks you had to buy a new one, and especially right after getting a new toy!!! Hope you get it sorted and get to mill to your hearts content :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have one like that on my wish list at Amazon! They come with a kitchenade adapter and the wooden hand crank base.. it is out of stock right now but at least I am close to having enuf to buy it..

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I have one like that on my wish list at Amazon! They come with a kitchenade adapter and the wooden hand crank base.. it is out of stock right now but at least I am close to having enuf to buy it..
Take a look here.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fgm.html

I called them and got a discount! I got the flaker attachment and the motor with the hand crank for $338.90

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Emerald said:
Take a look here.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fgm.html

I called them and got a discount! I got the flaker attachment and the motor with the hand crank for $338.90
Thanks for the link! I think I've been there before looking and drooling! But I make Amazon money online and I'd have to switch to paypal for that site. but it might be worth it.. I saw that they had a meat grinder that could be used with the adapter too..

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the hand crank mill, plus the Kitchen Aide adapter; have had them for a couple of years, and am very happy with the way it works. I hesitated for a long while, as DH has never been terribly fond of my homemade whole wheat bread. Turns out it was the flour from the market, and not my bread at all! Freshly ground hard white wheat is something else entirely from even the better wh. wheat, already ground flour. I also have soft white wheat berries, as well as spelt, rye, and corn. Be aware that the Family Grain Mill instructions say not to grind popcorn, as it is too hard; but regular field corn is fine.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember when I first got my mill. So much fun. But it does take time to learn to learn how to use the flour. Sure, you can make a lot of things with fresh flour (pancakes, pastry, biscuits, cookies, etc) but I've found that bread tends to be quite dense if I don't age the flour several weeks.

Now you can grind up anything. We had indian flat bread made with ground green split peas the other night. And pudding made with rice flour is a big hit, too.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I have the hand crank mill, plus the Kitchen Aide adapter; have had them for a couple of years, and am very happy with the way it works. I hesitated for a long while, as DH has never been terribly fond of my homemade whole wheat bread. Turns out it was the flour from the market, and not my bread at all! Freshly ground hard white wheat is something else entirely from even the better wh. wheat, already ground flour. I also have soft white wheat berries, as well as spelt, rye, and corn. Be aware that the Family Grain Mill instructions say not to grind popcorn, as it is too hard; but regular field corn is fine.
Thanks for the review! I have hard white wheat berries and depending on how much I need at a time I have also been known to put them thru my extra coffee grinder.. but I have a huge old porkett grinder that I got at flea market for $25. It works great but since it won't hook up to anything in the house I end up out on the deck with one of the kids holding the bowl haha..
And on all whole wheat for bread, I found that if I make the dough the night before and just sit it in the fridge or even out on the counter in winter(we don't heat all of the house haha.. so the kitchen is cold in the winter) it rises much higher. probably better gluten strands or something techy like that.
I guess I never figured out what to do with ground popcorn so not too worried.. :) I bought a stainless steel whirley pop type popper and we go thru the popcorn as popcorn. but I have put popped popcorn thru my food processor and mixed it with bread crumbs(I was low one night) and coated pork chops with it and that is a nice flavor.