I got a treadle!!!! Any tips?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a really nice treadle sewing machine at the thrift store! Paid only $40 and it works! The original accessory kit and instruction book came with it also. It's a "Ruby" and it's beautiful! It took me forever to figure out the tension, but I think I've got it down pretty well. I am not sure about needles though. It came with only one or two that are not rusty. Does anyone know about replacement needles if I need one? Think modern ones will fit? They look like any other sewing machine needle to me. Also, I'd like to get a darning foot for it. It has all these crazy impossible to understand attachments for ruffling and such, but no darning foot for quilting.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would take one of the rusty ones with my to the local sewing center and see if anything looks close.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Try www.treadleon.net

I used to use my treadle all the time- had lots of needles but could never find the funny, extra long bobbins so I was constantly changing the two I had to different threads.

But I could go sooooo fast on the thing- could get a real burn going in my legs.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a great deal Mrs Puff.

I hope all is well for you. How is life on the homestead going? Is your DD still designing jewelery? Good to see you. :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey tanks-- I don't have a DD, so you must be confusing me with someone else!!! :lol:

And Enjoy-- yep, I've only got two bobbins for it also. The person who had it before me just had the bobbins loaded up with layers of all colors of thread. They just added new colors over the old ones. I had to get a razor blade to cut it all off it was so stuck down.