I have such fun times with chicks

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Broody silkie hatched out 7 chicks Tuesday. Egg number eight was left for a bit Tuesday evening, but she went back on it with the 7 for the night. Wednesday when I checked on them, she'd abandoned the nest fully. The little egg was cold and when I brought it in candled, It took a moment to see any movement. I could see where it had just started pipping a hole. Into the bra (boobs are good for something) and off to set up the incubator. Into the bator with the egg which was now peeping at me.

Wednesday evening it hadn't progressed so I chipped open the pip and shined a light behind. Poor chick was shrink wrapped.

So I peeled the little thing out a bit at a time to let the veins dry up some between. Once I had the little thing out, back into the bator to dry. That critter was trying to stand within ten minutes and was able to stand ok within the hour. Takes time to practice between naps. Then the stagger circles around the incubator peeping at the top of it's lungs, nap, then start yelling again. That went on for a few hours until it was dry. It would rush over to the side whenever it saw me come close. I took it out to the broody and set it under the front of her some. She tucked it under and we had silence.

This evening I couldn't even tell which chick it was.

The first 7
IMG_2212.jpg

The not-so-early bird
IMG_2216.jpg

And this evening
IMG_2219.jpg

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a nice story! I love a happy ending with hatches. They all look adorable! :love

basschick2305

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Broody silkie hatched out 7 chicks Tuesday. Egg number eight was left for a bit Tuesday evening, but she went back on it with the 7 for the night. Wednesday when I checked on them, she'd abandoned the nest fully. The little egg was cold and when I brought it in candled, It took a moment to see any movement. I could see where it had just started pipping a hole. Into the bra (boobs are good for something) and off to set up the incubator. Into the bator with the egg which was now peeping at me.

Wednesday evening it hadn't progressed so I chipped open the pip and shined a light behind. Poor chick was shrink wrapped.

So I peeled the little thing out a bit at a time to let the veins dry up some between. Once I had the little thing out, back into the bator to dry. That critter was trying to stand within ten minutes and was able to stand ok within the hour. Takes time to practice between naps. Then the stagger circles around the incubator peeping at the top of it's lungs, nap, then start yelling again. That went on for a few hours until it was dry. It would rush over to the side whenever it saw me come close. I took it out to the broody and set it under the front of her some. She tucked it under and we had silence.

This evening I couldn't even tell which chick it was.

The first 7View attachment 435

The not-so-early birdView attachment 436

And this evening
View attachment 437
They are so precious!!! Can't wait for my Susie Q (khaki Campbell ducks I have 4) to start layin she is getting ready & so r we lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are so precious!!! Can't wait for my Susie Q (khaki Campbell ducks I have 4) to start layin she is getting ready & so r we lol.
Are you going to hatch some of her eggs? Ducklings are just... :love

basschick2305

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm hoping to! Even tho our main purpose was to have the eggs for sale & to eat but the ducklings are so precious! Not to mention outta my 4 KC's I ended up with just the 1 girl & the rest r boys so.... The work & decisions r pretty heavy for me now . Have to wait n c how it all plays out for the most part. But with only 1 girl I have to plan the best for her .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually didn't think that egg was going to hatch. It didn't look ready when I had candled the night before they hatched. All of the little bugs are doing good. Mama even managed to actually get them all into the house on her own tonight.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Hinotori If there's one thing I learned from hatching eggs it's "never say never!" Those little bundles of joy are full of surprises. I can't get over how cute those are, those markings are simply awesome! Why can't they stay like that when they feather in?

Latest posts