I need an Arizona person...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
who can give me some help on a trip.

we want to hit the Grand Canyon.

thinking late may into about the 3rd week of June. about a 22-26 day trip.

BUT weather??? Is it super hot then? I googled some info and it seems it could easily be into the hi 90s at that time and into the 100s.
I sure don't want that.

If you live in Arizona could you give me a heads up on what month is best to visit the grand canyon? I am just worried I am planning a major trip at a very bad time LOL LOL

any info would be appreciated. thanks

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Karen. :frow

That sounds like a great trip. We have been in March and there was still snow on the ground at the KOA we camped at. This year we drove by in early June and it was over 90. I know that's not exact but might help.

Do you plan on staying at the Grand Canyon the whole time? If not I say head for Bryce Canyon in Utah as well. There is a place called Ruby's Ridge Resort. A great place has hotel, tee pees, and lots of great RV camping.

Good luck.

G

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been to the Grand Canyon twice in March. It wasn't warm (the first time they actually closed the road because of snow), but the view was magnificent! The colder air was so much clearer than the hot air of summer, we could see mountains in the distance that just can't be seen in summer anymore. We have friends traveling down there right at the moment, and they say it is HOT!. Next time I go it will be probably be later than March, but not into the hot season, if I can avoid it.
I second Tankshill on Bryce Canyon. Zion Nat'l Park is lovely too.

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
who can give me some help on a trip.

We want to hit the Grand Canyon.

Thinking late may into about the 3rd week of June. About a 22-26 day trip.

BUT weather??? Is it super hot then? I googled some info and it seems it could easily be into the hi 90s at that time and into the 100s.
I sure don't want that.

If you live in Arizona could you give me a heads up on what month is best to visit the grand canyon? I am just worried I am planning a major trip at a very bad time LOL LOL

any info would be appreciated. thanks
My Husband and I plus 2 other couples hiked down the South rim a few years back. I believe we did this middle part of May.
The weather on top was around 36 degrees when we started out and temp. increased to 118 degrees about half way down and 119 degrees at the bottom.

It did not really feel that hot even though there was no shade the whole time.

I don't know how much hiking you do, but my experience is take a lot less than you think. But don't skimp on water this can become dangerous if you get dehydrated.
To save on water I packed orange slices,grapes to eat in the beginning. We found you lose your appetite so a lot of our food was not consumed ( you have to carry out anything you take with you). Found ramen noodles and instant oatmeal was the most satisfying.Clean socks and underwear very important. Did not need as many changing of clothes as I thought

I don't want to scare you but I am going to share with you what happened with one of our friends because I think this is important.
Our friend had infection that she had treated before going on the hike with antibiotics and thought all was well when it was not. She became very ill hiking down and we thought she was dehydrating and we encouraged her to keep up her water intake when in fact her kidneys was shutting down and it threw her electrolytes off. When something happens on the trail you are REALLY on your own. What should of taken just a few hours ended up being a 18 hour tour and she had to be evacuated out of the canyon when we got to the bottom.
So I have learned from this experience is to make sure I am 100 percent well. The Doctor that treated her in the hospital thinks it was due to the fact she had taken antibiotics and the infection plus the stress caused her kidneys to start shutting down.

Other than this the trip was wonderful and I want to do it again because we missed so much due to the emergency.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my famly has freinds in arizona and they say the best time to visit is late april early may, temps are generally most comfortable to do outdoor stuff then, cool enough to hike, warm enough to not freeze to death lol.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey everyone--good info on the area for me.

I am kinda thinking it might not be best time but I am just stuck with the summer vacation from school so it sure does limit when I can go.
I just can't handle sightseeing in 100 deg weather. Don't want too LOL

now my mind is thinking up to Canada. Niagra, Nova Scotia, Maine

I sure gotta think about this trip. thanks for the info.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I had to vacation in late June, I would go north. How about the northern Rockies?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about the Pacific Northwest? Next year may be different, but this year and last year we didn't get Summer until mid July :rolleyes: I was wearing a cardigan while you Easterners were melting ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yellowstone !!!!! Hebgen Lake, Montana. Great little campground/ Marina just outside the West gate.

Oh, there's always Glacier National park as well.

sounds fun,

g

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The northeast is a great place to go for vacation. When I was 12, we went up the coast and into Canada. I absolutely loved it. Then, we cut across Canada to Niagara Falls, and came home thru NY. If you do, make sure you visit Acadia National Park. The scenery is beautiful. And, if you go into Canada, you can visit the Bay of Fundy.