I Planted Sugar Cane

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am trying to do all the serious garden production as we have sorely missed our garden the past year and a half. But now that I have lots of room, I am going for some fun items. I ordered a packet of Sugar Drip Sorghum seeds from Baker Creek. They aren't even up yet. But in my mind's eye, I see a stately row of tall sugar cane swaying in the breeze. We'll see how it goes....

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew some one year, but ended up moving before it matured. I always wondered what the new owner thought of it...

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grow sugar cane in a near desert... great way to store moisture and sweet calories. I just planted cuttings I got from farmers market. Just plant in winter and end of summer you should have plenty of sugar cane. They need lots of water though.

Attachments

• 20151127_105143.jpg
    20151127_105143.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 248

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@baymule

How did the sugarcane do for you?
really good. I had plenty for chewing on, and plenty cuttings to replant in new locations.

So I eat the bottom of half of the stock and plant the new growth. The new growth at the top is what I replant because it does not have the sweet sugar content.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Opps I just realized you didnt ask me hahah
No problem with you answering, lol! It's good to know that it grew well and how you handle re-planting!
Thanks for the response. :)

And like MoonShadows mentioned - WELCOME! What else grows well for you?

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
First, let me welcome @Jshubin to our group. :welcome Nice to have you aboard.

I never thought of sugar cane. Wonder if it would grow in the Pocono Mountains...in my greenhouse?
Moisture is sugar cane's friend. Full sun and warmth is ideal. I started all my sugar cane cuttings in a big outdoor aquarium tank (set in shallow water on sand, in a sealed acrylic tank with high humidity and heat), greenhouse should provide similar conditions.

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No problem with you answering, lol! It's good to know that it grew well and how you handle re-planting!
Thanks for the response. :)

And like MoonShadows mentioned - WELCOME! What else grows well for you?
Anything that my free range chickens dont eat. lol

jk

I actually just started gardening. I have some tomatoes, pumpkins, onions. Tons of Nopale cactus, a few fig trees, a few citrus trees and a pomegranate. I have some Spinach trees (Chaya Mansa) and few other random edible plants.