I tried Kefir for the first time tonight

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I am at the grocery store tonight and I noticed in the dairy section they had Lifeway kefir. Thanks to every one here I have been curious about it and had to buy some. They had blueberry, strawberry and one other flavor and I settled on the blueberry. When I got home I opened it up and tried it right away. It was really good! How does the stuff you make yourself differ from the store bought stuff?

Now I am really interested in making my own. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Making your own is really the way to go...just like anything else, homemade is always much better (cleaner and healthier) than commercially manufactured.

My kefir contains one ingredient: whole milk.
Read your label it will have some other ingredients and a fair amoutn of sugar.

BUT, consuming store bought is still much better than not consuming any, so don't let me turn you off! I would suggest that you start drinking the plain, but use it in a smoothie. I have mine for breakfast. Add a little frozen fruit, berries are great, maybe some frozen spinach or some fresh kale to make sure you get enough dark leafy greens and some banana. Really if you start slow, you won't even taste the greens!

Check on craislist for kefir grains, that is what you need to make your own. I do not have any extra to send you, or I would.... but perhaps someone else here does.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't even know you could buy it in the stores, I have never seen it around here but then we don't have a good selection of healthy options to shop at. In fact only one health food store, and them Fred Meyers has a small section.

The stuff you do at home as got to be better for you, with not all the added junk.

One must be committed to the procedure, but you will end-up with a better product.

The uses are endless.

Right Dace-how much healther is just "milk".