I want one!!!!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want one too.

But since they are so rare. I dont think I would want to eat one to find out if the bacon tasted the same. I guess you couldnt make pig skins to eat with that one. But you could make a rug. LOL..

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ummmm..... Grooming might be a lot of work. But natural bacon flavored mutton sounds good.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sunny said:
I want one too.

But since they are so rare. I dont think I would want to eat one to find out if the bacon tasted the same. I guess you couldnt make pig skins to eat with that one. But you could make a rug. LOL..
Can you imagine how GOOD that rug would smell? Your whole house would smell like ham! :drool

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OMG! I want a whole heard of them. Now if I could get an 'all in one" critter to produce ham, wool and milk... that would be something !

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sunny said:
I want one too.

But since they are so rare. I dont think I would want to eat one to find out if the bacon tasted the same.
as usual, tv reporters never get the facts really straight. when they say "keep the pigs from going extinct" what they really mean, and ought to say, is that few farmers are raising them but they aren't some endangered wild breed. domesticated breeds go extinct BECAUSE people stop eating them and therefore no one wants to raise them. so, eat and enjoy and help save an endangered breed!

here's a NYT's article on the Mangalitsa's comeback. here's the Slow Food Presidia on them. and here's an American company, Wooly Pigs, that has imported them and now sells feeder pigs...............

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok a question about these pigs. Do they like to roll around in the mud like other pigs. Or are they different. I would think it would be hard to keep them clean if they still like the mud..

Going to go read the links now..

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i would guess that they roll less than non-hair pigs. pigs like mud because it cools them as the moisture evaporates- remember, pigs can't sweat- and protects them from sunburn. hairy pigs are better naturally equipped to deal with both, but i don't see them giving up their wallowing rights altogether!