I was talking about you the other day...

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since having cancer a year ago my mom has been on a new diet of organics and local foods. She was visiting last week and we got to talking, unfortunately because my aunt was just diagnosed. I mentioned how so many people are going back to growing their own food and buying locally grown food. When you consider transportation costs including emissions and fuel consumption, factory farms and sanitation not to mention hormones, supporting your community and local farmers, it just makes sense. When I said it really is going back to the way things were she said probably 30-40 years ago my great uncle said the "new modern ways" couldnt last and people would have to return to the old ways. He was a very intelligent man and although he died some time ago I do remember him as being so. Wow, what a prediction.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Funny thing, my grandfather used to make the same prediciton! He also used to say the government would be trying to have their say in our farms, etc. (example, NAIS!)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I live in California (which I consider a good thing) where lots of produce that gets sent all over the world is grown. If you have ever taken a drive down I5, you'll see miles and miles of virtually flat land growing various things like strawberries, rice, tomatoes, lettuce,nuts,etc. Such swaths of monoculture needs lots of spraying and imported water to produce economically. A whole lot of times when I used to drive that ways, arieal crop spraying would go right over the car.
For years it was heavily irrigated and the run off allowed to flow down rivers to the ocean. So whatevery decifiencies that the the soil has from chemical fertilizers and over irrigation is sent all over the country.

I do not think that this is a healthy way to produce food but when you think of the population that does not grow their own, I really don't know how people can get away from this. I don't know about you but even though I can and do garden, I do buy out of season strawberries and tomatoes. Where I live, there really is not enough heat to grow watermelons or ripen tomatoes all. You need a green house, which I have not been able to afford yet.

My question is can people who live in places with long, cold winters or limited water limit themselves to root vegetiables and cabbages and over wintering squashes, Not want to buy fresh apples in February?
What about places that are too hot in the summer to grow lettuce or peas well?

Just thinking about the limits of local produce.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grew up poor (heck if I hadnt I couldnt survive now) my dad was a farmer and my mom a waitress / tax preparer depending on the season. We had pork, salmon and venison in the freezer, with corn, peas, string beans, pumpkin, squash, raspberries, cherries. Broccoli and brussel sprouts still in the garden. Canned tomato juice, whole tomatoes, peaches, pears, ketchup, relish, redbeets, pickles. We didnt buy too much and I know thats how my grandparents did it.

Its the amount of people who live in urban areas now that cant or dont grow their own food who dont really have any other way. In the next couple years I want my 2 little acres to give me all it can, It just makes sense to me.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
..... My question is can people who live in places with long, cold winters or limited water limit themselves to root vegetiables and cabbages and over wintering squashes, Not want to buy fresh apples in February? What about places that are too hot in the summer to grow lettuce or peas well? Just thinking about the limits of local produce.
Root veggies, cabbage family, apples and pears can be wintered in a root cellar.

Many veggies can be grown year round in containers in a sheltered area (garage, enclosed porch), as long as the soil is kept warm (insulated), watered, and there is enough light.

When we were living in Houston, we grew cool weather crops like spinach, lettuce, kale, and peas indoors in containers in the house or under shady trees during hot weather.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sprouting..... Can be done indoors. As a source of fresh greens all winter. I also believe this is why canning is so important. It allows you to preserve your seasonal bounty and use it all year long.

Latest posts