I would like to share

Linda in San Diego

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My grandmother, Mable Cleo Grimes nee Halter, was my mentor in Trash to Treasure. She lived in a community described as the high desert. Every few weeks she would take her trash to the dump, a big hole in the ground. But at the dump, folks would leave things that others might want to have, on the side of the hole. Grandma found treasures there. For years we had a lamp that she had simply spray painted gold and rewired. I still have a colender that she found, hammered back into shape and gave to my mom and then I got it. Originally it had 2 of the 3 legs, now it has none, but I still use it. Recently in a fit of cleaning I wanted to send it on to its recycling future, but my DH said I should not, it had too much character. So, it is still in my kitchen and I used it today, good call DH.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Linda, I had one of those hand me down from grandma colanders with no legs too!!! I turned it upside down and made a light fixture over my kitchen sink. It lets just the right amount of light through the holes and looks darling! Good call from the hubby, I would say. I love to dumpster dive also and have netted amazing treasures that people throw away. My kids used to be embarassed but now they have the "eye" also...they can spot a treasure along the road quicker than I now! This year, the youngest got me all the peppers, tomatoes and herbs, as well as good potting soil, that they were throwing away at the FFA greenhouse. A boy after my own heart!

greyhorsewoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Love the OLD colendars. Still have my mother's (which may have been my grandmother's), I've had it for 35 years. One of the legs recently fell off and I considered whether it was at the end of it's usefulness ~~ and quickly dismissed it. Somewhere along the way I found another one just like, so I use both (I inherited my mother's AFTER I found that one).

Recently came across a neighbor with a pile of FREE stuff and got a nice little bouncing horse my granddaughter will enjoy on her visits her and a wooden shelf-box that turned into a great duo nestbox!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our local "convenience" center has that NOW. Yup, anything good is put aside and always used by someone.

I had 1,000s of nursery pots. Well, I didn't need more so when I took them to the dump I asked Harry if I could just leave them on the "pick up" side for anyone who needed them.....sure.....and all were taken by people wanting to grow 'maters etc. and other things....so YUP, smart idea.

The landfill places are the best places to find re-useable stuff.

I never bag and dump anything I think someone could use and YES< I found good stuff others were giving away at the dump.

so win/win if the people there let this type of situation happen.

I admire your wanting to hold onto old timey things. There is not much "use" things left handed down. Smile everytime you use that colander and have great memories to it I am sure!!!!!

I like this thread...makes me feel good inside to know that all is not trash!!!

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also have an old colander, without the legs, I just put a bowl upside down in the sink when I use it so the water drains without it touching the bottom of the sink.
My mom had a colander that I just loved and my brother ended up with it, and then he gave it to his father-in-law and I told him that i would have loved having it because it was the colander that I used daily when I was at home in charge of the salads and pasta for dinners.
Maybe someday he will remember and give it to me, in the meantime I also look for them at tht thrift store. That and the old sifters with the turn handles. I also am keeping an eye out for old grinders, as I want to grind my chicken feed instead of paying more for someone else to do it.
lin

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Lin
he is probably still using that old colander

hey for the chicken feed, I wish you were closer, we have some hand crank grinders in the barn we dont' use no more...have a few...wish I could give ya one!

Dry corn and a hammer...yup, cracks corn great....done it many times cause the goats have a hard time eating whole dry corn..................did you know goats have no front teeth..only back for grinding chow?

LOL--goat trivia...

Cause when we started with goats, Tony said, I ain't buying that OLD goat, and I said the man said it was young,,,,,well I came home and googled goat teeth and learned....that they have only hard palette for front and teeth in back.....SO never trust a smiling goat with teeth....he's been to the dentist..HA HA

crazy I know..HA HA

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Karen
You are too funny
goat teeth.... but those grinders sound good, maybe if I find out if my sister in law is planning a visit she could meet you at the farmer's market one day, or if I have to bring my daughter to visit colleges in the south I will meet you at the market, I'll be in touch if it comes up....
:)

Latest posts