I wrote a funny story about my self sufficient family

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:lol: Great story and very descriptive! I could picture the expressions on your dad and dh's face through the entire article!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you a writer?
Cause that was just great to read. I enjoyed all of it and laughed through most of it!! Very well written!
Thanks for posting it!
:)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Cassandra, that was so funny. A girl after my own heart. Great descriptive writing to by the way. Have you ever submited anything to a magazine or anything.

Of course I already knew you were funny and a good writer because I visit your website all the time. (How was that for a plug).

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. It was fun to write. :)

I do some writing every once in a while. Mainly stuff I don't get credited for. Like, my high school aged neice will call at 9:30 at night to get help with a writing assignment she should have had done a week ago so we're up til midnight... that kind of thing. :rolleyes:

My sis and other relatives will call me at work, while they are working, and ask me to help them write a letter for something such as "I need to write a letter to the main office to explain why this ledger entry was off" or "I need to send a letter to a client explaining something they asked about HIPAA." I guess I am the family go-to person for getting something written.

Here is another funny story about that.

My aunt was going to college for office technology. She's very smart and eventually wanted to go on to nursing school so it was important to her to keep her GPA high. She reads a lot, but doesn't like to write. Her first paper in creative writing she got an 84. She panicked and started asking me to help her write her papers. The first one we tried was just miserable. I'm trying to just offer suggestions and point her in the right direction. This turns into days-long agonizing work for both of us.

I decided pretty fast that it worked out way better if she emailed me an assignment and two hours later I emailed her back an essay and the appropriate outlines.

I'm SO not going to get into an argument here with anyone about the moral issue of doing someone else's homework. She's over 40 and I didn't ruin her life or endanger any future possible patients by writing some essays for her. Period. And THAT is not the funny part of the story.

Her next few papers got better grades (in the area of 97-99 from a teacher who never gave 100's.) But the funny thing was the last story I wrote. It was a funny story about her dogs. The teacher asked her if he could use it for a teaching story (to pass out to future classes as an example of how to write a story) and she was like WOW and so proud and she called me to ask me if I minded, which I did think was funny and I said I didn't mind, but the REALLY funny part was the last week or so of the class.

She got invited to join the National English Honor Society! I felt so proud, it was almost like I had done it. So I said to her, "Wow! Congratulations. Do you think that's something you'd be interested in doing?"

She recoiled at the idea! Her face got all puckered up and she says, "Oh, god no! I can't even imagine." Like it was the most boring thing she'd ever heard of and I was all like:

:/

LOL the end

Cassandra

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Cassandra, Shame on you for helping a 40 year old intelligent woman cheat. I suggest 40 lashes with a wet noodle. :plbb
Now that is out of the way I can tell you that was funny. You tell the best stories. I bet that did make you feel really good.