.... ice chest full of deer hind qurters;..... Grinding questions

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
now.... what do I do with it?
there a couple back straps and about 5 or 6 hind quarters.

We have the grill goin' 'cause we're havin' people over for dinner.

I know this sounds gross, but can I just slice off a slab and throw it on the grill?

do I use the back strap to slice thin and make jerky?

or is that was I use to make ground ..... um... meat?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I can't find my book!!!!!!! Anyways, if memory serves me correctly, you have top and bottom rounds sirloin and rump roasts on the hind quarters. And yes, you can just cut of a chink, but dona't do it like that, lol. when you look at the chunk, you will see how the muscles separate. that is where you get the different cuts of meat. If you can separate the muscle groups, you will get nice roasts. To get the sound steaks, yo uneed to cut the top and bottom rounds around the bone, whick is too muchwork so we never do it. but if you cut off a sirloin or whatever, you can then cut that up into steaks.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
DO NOT GRIND THOSE BACKSTRAPS!!! :th :th Slice them into about one inch thick pieces,(they will be a little larger than a silver dollar) wrap a strip of bacon around them and THEN put them on the grill!! DO NOT COOK THEM TO DEATH!!
Another option for the backstraps, is to slice them, and fry them in a skillet with a lot of butter in it!!
Everything else, you can grind. We mix it 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork sausage, and make patties.

Just my nickles worth!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh , ditto! I forgot about the backstraps. I agree, you can do a filet mignon thing out of them. do not grind them, or make them into jerky. the back end is good for roasts, but you can grind them if you want, just not the backstraps--too good of meat. me personally, roasts are great! and fwiw, when we grind, I don't mix any other kind of meat in with it, I just brown the ground deer in bacon fat.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER grind up those backstraps, Davey Crockett will come up from his grave and take you to the wood shed. slice and grill thats all you do for the backstrap. cook for 5-10 mins per side.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know much about the hind quarters - but the backstrap is the best part of the deer! We had a neighbor bring us a little cooler of deer the other day that he had already had processed! So far we have eaten the backstrap and made chili with the burger - yummy!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, I took ya'll's advice and took the back straps (there were three) and cut them in to 1" slices and put them on the grill. They were the hit of the party. We had about 20 people over last night and everyone just loved the little steaks.
So today, with hatchet in hand, hacked away as much meat as I could. there were three hind quarters and three fronts. Not as much meat on the fronts, but got quite a few roasts, lots of stuff to grind up and some to make jerky. A friend that was at the party brought me a about 10# box of hog suet. He told me to mix 50/50 when I grind up my burger and chili meat.

It's because of this site that I gained the confidence to do this. A year ago, I wouldn't have ever done it.

Thank you to everyone.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yay!! I'm sure it was great!!! On themixing of the pork with the deer, I would lower the ratio to about 2/3 deer, 1/3 pork, but that's just me.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
WHEW!! I am sooooo glad you didn't murder those backstraps! :celebrate
To grind those up, would have been just plain wrong. :hit
Another VERY good cut, are the tenderloins. They are better than those backstraps you ate. :drool

I'm HUNGRY now.....I think we will have deer burgers for dinner this evening! :ya

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
let's just it's a good thing you didn't watch me hack up the deer.

It's wasn't pretty. I don't even know what a tender loin is.

oh well, hopefully I'll get lots of practice.

Latest posts