Ideas for Cooling a second story

vfem

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've got some pretty HIGH electric bills for the summer months here in the south. Our second floor is to blame trying to cool our bedroom where it feels like 90+ degrees at all hours even if the central air says its 72 in the rest of the house.

We have a double walk in attic with a 3rd story attic walk through. Our house is shaped like a perfect box with a HUGE steep peak. The roof completely covers the second floor and goes all the way down to cover the first floor patio and front porch.

siding8.jpg

As you can see we are replacing the siding and house wrapping which was NOT done before... so we're hoping this helps some.

Now... I really would like some idea we could manage ourselves to help cool the upstairs during the summer. We can use most of the attic space to help. We're still about 5 year away from replacing the roof, and we'll probably go with reflective shingles (My husband works for a metal roofing company... NOT an option).

So lay some great ways to have the sun help cool rather then HEAT?!!??!?!

ETA:
I forgot to add we have ceiling fans in EVERY room and even the upstairs hall.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Have you considered putting a solar fan in the attic? It is what I plan to do in my house. I am saving up for it. Last time I checked they were around $500.00. But even those round metal attic fans work very well.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd consider planting some fast growing deciduous trees for shade. What about adding some kind of attic fan? When you are looking at roofs, think about going with lighter shades. Be sure to have ceiling fans in all the rooms. The air flow alone can make it feel like it is 2-5 degrees cooler.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It looks to me like the two attic spaces are probably seriously underventilated (I've lived in a house like that myself, and man did it ever get, and STAY, hot upstairs!). Adding vents (as much as possible), probably both thru the wall and through the roof, with a powered fan if necessary, will help considerably. Also add more insulation if possible.

Good luck,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If its in the realm of financial possibilities, a few dormer windows may be the ventilation you are looking for and will provide more light into your living areas, as well as improving the "face" value of your home. All the suggestions given seem great to me, especially the shade trees.

Yeah, trees are messy and a potential hazard, but they sure pay for themselves in cooling power in the summer. My folks cut all the trees back from their house as they grew older~don't know quite why older folks always do this~ and now they really suffer in the summer.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The main difficulty I see with trees is that unless you want to spend a kazillion dollars it will take quite a long time before you can grow up anything tall enough to do any real good. (Even if you do spend a kazillion dollars, it'd still be a considerable while). The only things that grow fast enough to provide meaningful roof shade within, say, 6-8 years are things with such invasive roots and weak wood that you don't *want* them growing near your house *anyhow*.

Inconveniently, shade trees really work best when they are already there when you buy the house, or if you're planting them for your retirement years or the next owner.

Pat