Ideas needed for six gallon food grade pails

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, as you know, I will have a gazillion of them to use and sell.

They are the perfect size for the first fermenting of beer and wine made in five gallon batches. My dad is going to get a grommet and drill a hole in a lid so one can be used for this purpose with an airlock. I may try to sell a couple this way, but I suspect the market will be saturated quickly. But who knows. These primary fermenting buckets sell for $15 at the brewing supply places. I bought one last summer. With creative cl advertising, I suspect I could sell a few for maybe half that.

I am also considering making a few into earthbucket planters and selling them with plants in them now, and if that goes well, making some over the winter to sell first thing in the spring. I have the materials needed on hand to make a few.

Any other ideas?

How much can I get for the plain empty buckets?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
The first thing that popped in my head based on some other threads was to put a toilet seat on it and sell it as a "Nitrogen Recapture Receptacle" You ought to get at least $100 apiece for such an environmentally friendly, green bucket. :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
New those buckets sell anywhere from $5-$10. Kind of depends on your region and whether or not you have to have them shipped in. That should give you a price basis if you just want to sell the buckets. I do like the idea of turning some in to earth buckets. Add a lot of value to that plain old bucket :D

You could also sell some as survival food kits. Fill them with stuff you get bulk and break them down in to smaller bags. Not sure you want to do something that involved, but something to think about if you already have supplies on hand.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
New those buckets sell anywhere from $5-$10. Kind of depends on your region and whether or not you have to have them shipped in. That should give you a price basis if you just want to sell the buckets. I do like the idea of turning some in to earth buckets. Add a lot of value to that plain old bucket :D

You could also sell some as survival food kits. Fill them with stuff you get bulk and break them down in to smaller bags. Not sure you want to do something that involved, but something to think about if you already have supplies on hand.
Heck I have to go to my local donut shop and pay a dollar and another dollar for the lids! USED! they come with a bag filled with jelly or creme used to fill donuts. Still cheaper than the regular plastic buckets at the farm store.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Okay, on a more serious note, what about making worm composting bins? I would think you could stack a couple with some sort of spacer, add some dirt and worms and have something saleable.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I should make some worm bins for myself!

I have two of the jelly buckets from our local donut shop and they are smaller and more flimsy. I'm not sure, but I don't think gamma lids would fit on them. Haven't tried, though.

I guess I can advertise them as I empty a few and see what happens. I'm thinking I may just keep them and see if I can get a ton of grain at a good price and store it in these buckets....for animal feed in the fall. In paper sacks, then transfer to the buckets. They sure are easy to store, just stack them along a wall. Easy to move, too, more so than a galvanized trash can filled with 300 lbs of grain. That can't be stacked.

Hmmmmm......

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You can never have too many plastic buckets imo. :D

FF, you are too funny!!!
The first thing that popped in my head based on some other threads was to put a toilet seat on it and sell it as a "Nitrogen Recapture Receptacle" You ought to get at least $100 apiece for such an environmentally friendly, green bucket.
:lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Maybe I should make some worm bins for myself!

I have two of the jelly buckets from our local donut shop and they are smaller and more flimsy. I'm not sure, but I don't think gamma lids would fit on them. Haven't tried, though.

I guess I can advertise them as I empty a few and see what happens. I'm thinking I may just keep them and see if I can get a ton of grain at a good price and store it in these buckets....for animal feed in the fall. In paper sacks, then transfer to the buckets. They sure are easy to store, just stack them along a wall. Easy to move, too, more so than a galvanized trash can filled with 300 lbs of grain. That can't be stacked.

Hmmmmm......
I'll bite what is a gamma lid? the ones I get from the donut shop are like tupperware, I have seen crimpt ons but they don't really reseal unless you have the special tool. The ones I liked the best had a heavy thread screw lid that you could lock on with a wire or a heavy twist tie.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
DH may be interested in one for beer making. And I've been thinking about wine too... Did that supply place you went to officially open yet? Maybe we could meet there one day and we could buy two from you? I like the worm idea too. That one's been on my list.

Latest posts