If you ever needed a reason to get your own cow

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That photo was shared by a friend that wasn't at this particular farm but has seen many farms like it. It appears to be perfectly legal to keep your cows this way although I hope that many dairy farmers choose to go a different route.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh then this pic could be a one time thing literally....like a backflow from the poop pond into the lot and it was photographed to show just how darn high the cows got before they fixed the problem and drained? or something like that.

while I sure know it could easily exist, without knowing the true original of the photo and the reasoning behind it, it kinda makes it just a 'whatever' picture post.

you know what I mean :)

my friends dairy has poop up to the hoof at times but it is scraped every day, sometimes 2 times depending on mush weather etc.
So if I went there and snapped a pic, before cleaning, it would be one of those--wow, look at this pic....but in reality it was before the lot was scraped.

but yea, nasty exists out there and I sure hope this isn't normal for any farm.

I actually think the milk contractor would cancel cause one stipulation in their contract is certain farming techniques...and knee deep poop/muck would be a deal breaker for their milk contractor.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With all the rain that some places have gotten, I wouldn't be surprised if it could be from a flooding problem too. While most of us would never want our animals to be in something like that, if your place floods, you just have to wait for it to go down.

I did look into getting cows and went with the goats myself. I can deal with the goat berries much better than the cow pies. But everyone has to decide what works best for their situation.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
those cows are not living in that,,it looked like a flooding or back flow problem,,a one time thing,,if the cows where actually living in that they themselves would be a LOT more filthy,their tails are clean and,flanks and sides are pretty clean.