If you had to evacuate?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
If you had to evacuate your home for a hurricane or a wild fire or something else knowing that you have less than 24 hours to prepare and pack and you will be out of your home for at least two weeks at a minimum but more like you will be displaced for a month. What would you take? Where would you go? Would you go stay with family? What would you do?
What would you take...knowing that you have less than 24 hours to pack...if you knew there was a real poosibility that your house would be wiped out?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wildfire heading straight toward me, no choice....I would have to go.

hurricane I would stay. I have too many animals to abandon......unless it was inpending doom, knowing I had no choice....I would leave. If I thought I had a chance, I would stay.

Fast pack...just like I would for a trip. throw clothes appropriate for whatever weather season, my fireproof lockbox that has pics of house and contents, all important papers etc. Personal things like toothbrush etc......and then a few toys to entertain Nicole. For me, there is nothing in this house I would have to have.....same with Tony. My box of family photos. Easy to load, all in one place....grab my framed wedding pic and out the door.

Fill car with drinking water and food and can opener. Throw in a paper plates I have and a pot and camp stove....all easy to grab cause packed well.

And try to find the cat...yup, I like my one fav barn cat, Little Kitty....probably couldn't get her, who knows, but I would try..LOL

I guess that is it.....and then pray for all my animals I left behind and the people who might not have made it thru whatever disaster...at that point there is nothing else I could do.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
We had this happen, in 2003 we were in living Southern California.

(I was 8 months pregnant at the time)
We had a 4 year old, he's 9 now. We took him :lol: our two cats were loaded into laundry baskets, and we took two big plastic storage totes, with all our photos and videos.

That was it. We went to my husbands parents house and stayed there for a few days.

We finally did go back home, and lived without power for 4 days.
(we left the cats and the photo's etc at the in-laws till it was all clear and we knew we wouldn't have to run out again.)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd stay. Too much to take, too many animals to abandon, etc. Now, if it was a "git out now or certain death will befall you" situation, I would take my purse, holler at the kids to "git in the car!!!" and take a trip to visit my family! :D :lol: No packing, toss some food at the animals and wish them the best of luck until we get the all clear to come back. But, for the most part, it would have to be pretty serious to get me to leave it all and flee. ;)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The most likely disaster in my area is a wild fire, so I believe I'd evacuate. We'd take all important doc's, photo's and pets. Maybe a few personal items and call it good. After reading about all the hurricanes and fires recently, I went out and got a separate carrier for each of our pets. Couldn't leave my cats :(

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have fires where I live and last summer I got ready: I am blessed to have a little travel trailer and keep it pretty well stocked. Well, as much as a 20' can be stocked, lol.

I did hitch her up this last summer so I was ready to go at a moment's notice. I was afraid I would not be able to do the hitching if I was under pressure.... it is still sort of new to me.

Animals are the hardest part.... would have to leave them to fend for themselves.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have a two horse trailer- so would put the horses in, goats in back of truck. Dog in the front.
But I had not thought of material things in the house. I really do need to put some things in a tote to just pick up and go.
Fire is a danger here in the woods so I really do need to do some better planning.
The one thing I learned with my moving around when I was a kid- always have extra underwear and a pair of extra shoes. :rolleyes:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For me living in So. Cal my photos are all stored in rubermaid tubs in a closet. Grab and go style. We do have our fith wheel. Kept stocked with dishes, toiletries etc.. I think I would trash bag clothes for each family memer and throw them in. I have CD's of all pictures off my computer backed up in a box. After that I guess it would be a matter of how much time I had.

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wow I am gonna love answering this finally someone may not think I am crazy...

I have built survival kits there is one in every car of my loved ones as well as mine of course. I will post later as to its contents but rest assured short of chemical attack I am covered for at least 3-5 weeks. In addition I have made my own medical kits. I have a packed bag of clothes, an arsenal of weapons (all legal) and I hope to have a Quigley van but for now my w8 passatt will have to speed us to safety. I have 30 gallons of gas that I keep at all times so that I can get to where I am going with almost mo need to fill up. I figure I can have my sister, and son in the car on our way to safety in about 30 minutes (24 is way to long) So where are we going, well anyone who has one of my kits also has directions (with 3 separate routes since who knows if the bridges around me will be standing) to Prescott AZ where my family has a empty house that has a generator, and all other necessities and is situated on a mountain side with only one access street to worry about. It is there that I would set up my loved ones and myself to ride out whatever may happen.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Happy ---- Sounds like you have a plan of action.. Great job. I think for us we would be best to just sit tight where we are. Depending on the disaster of course.

Latest posts