I'll be going Super off grid..I'm getting Solar

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So my house in the city is currently for sale and as soon as its sold I will be moving to my land and living in my barn that is 90% finished. I have started enquiring about prices for solar power and would like to get a Tesla power wall battery for it. I am a low power user and estimate I'm using maybe 5-6kw per day. My hot water will be from a wood burner with a wet back...and/or gas, cooking will be gas. My biggest power usage will be my deep freezer, fridge and starlink internet which I have to get. I would love to get away from monthly bills but internet is one of those things I must have. Being as rural as I am its really the only reliable option.
I will using a large generator in my barn/workshop for all my power tools once I have built my cabin and moved out of the barn.

My build site is just over 300 meters from the roadside, getting grid power connected in my country is stupid expensive, but even so I wouldn't want to be on the grid full stop as I don't want a monthly power bill..and screw the corporate trap system I want to be away from it !

Does anyone have much experience with Tesla power wall batteries ? I may also look at a wind turbine further down the line, but I have heard mixed reviews about them.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My shed is officially finished, I got very sunburnt today but I refused to give up until it was completed. It's water tight and lockable. (roller doors are up) Just as well because my house in the city could sell this week. Now my off grid journey is really about to start.
IMG_7431.jpeg

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is cell phone coverage, it's not great but enough to receive calls and ring out, phone monthly is pretty cheap so thats no issue. I will get Starlink. I will be getting rid of my fridge and buying a 120 litre ice box..We call them Chilly bins, that will be for milk/cheese etc, bit of fruit. I will also look at building a root cellar into the hill as there is plenty of room to do that.

I will no doubt do a video for my YouTube channel when I get the solar rigged up and just what devices I have drawing power etc.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grams was dug into the hillside, log supports, stone walls, a roof that was covered back with the soil. Heavy shelving on either side, part of support structure. Yep, a cellar dug into a hillside. High enough things kept running downhill...😁. Rustic, very efficient. It's what people did in that lifetime for preservation. Corn cribs, smokehouses, hay lofts, haystacks, outhouses....all just day to day life. Big old crocks of kraut, pickles, etc out there. Jars & jars of canned foods. Much of their meats were hunted....venison, rabbit, possum, squirrel, turkey. Raise a hog sometimes...maybe have or share a milk cow. Oil lamps. No power. Only solar was the sun itself. 🤣 Whole different life.

They raised 7 kids. Very little in way of jobs. No equipment except hand tools. Plow horse to break ground for garden, pull wagons, etc. Amazing really.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have cell phone access at you property? Is that less $$ than starlink?

Strange how now it's "off-grid" when it used to be just daily life.😁. Of course, back then no freezer or frig, just a cold spring or hole in a hillside. And no phones.

Latest posts