I'm confused about role play..enlighten me?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've noticed quite a bit of RP threads on BYC and BYHs and was wondering if someone could explain to me exactly what these things ARE? Is this like playing pretend when you are kids? If so, what is the fascination with it as adults? What is the big draw to this sort of thing, in your opinion?

I could see doing it in real life, as it would sort of be like live theater but to pretend to be an animal on a forum is just strange...very strange to me. I'm not condemning it but it just seems bizarre to me and I want to understand the mindset of those who participate.

Anyone RP out there? If so, could you tell me what it is, why you do it, and why it's appealing to you?

I dasn't ask this on BYC for fear of being ripped to shreds by all the dragons, horses and wolves over there on RP threads.... :D Just mildly curious, is all...

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to say hi and I have wondered the same thing.
Nancy

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I know several folks who enjoy that form of entertainment, but like with any avocation, the motivations vary by individual.

I think it starts with one's creativity. Many folks need a creative outlet, today's technology makes it very easy.

Also, many folks are shy in real life - the struggle with it though childhood and into adulthood. Expressing their creative side in a somewhat anonymous environment gives them confidence. Some folks I know also use it to build their writing and thinking skills. Really no different (in my opinion) that those that bury themselves in books or music.

In my opinion, it's no different than the game we sometimes play on trips where we craft a story with everyone taking turns adding a sentence to the narrative. Something everyone can participate in, without worrying that the don't know enough or aren't good enough.

Some people I know also wonder why folks hang out on forums in the first place, do re-enactments, etc.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
This is the first I have even heard of it! Seems like any game or behavior, it can become a habit or addictive. Like coming here! I have to check at lest twice a day and when we move and have room, I will probably leave the computer up and on this page!!!!!!:D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I know several folks who enjoy that form of entertainment, but like with any avocation, the motivations vary by individual.

I think it starts with one's creativity. Many folks need a creative outlet, today's technology makes it very easy.

Also, many folks are shy in real life - the struggle with it though childhood and into adulthood. Expressing their creative side in a somewhat anonymous environment gives them confidence. Some folks I know also use it to build their writing and thinking skills. Really no different (in my opinion) that those that bury themselves in books or music.

In my opinion, it's no different than the game we sometimes play on trips where we craft a story with everyone taking turns adding a sentence to the narrative. Something everyone can participate in, without worrying that the don't know enough or aren't good enough.

Some people I know also wonder why folks hang out on forums in the first place, do re-enactments, etc.
Thanks, Jamie, that helps explain it somewhat! At least they are using their imagination for this RP and that, I would think, is a good thing. Maybe it also helps them have an outlet for emotions and feelings they can't express in real life? Sort of like play therapy?

I know one of my sons is really into the World of War Craft online games and he has his own friends and social structure there~some of these guys he has never met nor will ever meet but they seem to have come together over this common pursuit. My son is dyslexic, so reading books is a real struggle but he seems to excel at this online game that requires strategy, team work and persistence. He's not addicted like many and can pick it up for a few days and play and then can leave it for several more and pick it up later on, so I know he isn't so involved in the game as to leave reality behind.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
FarmerJamie said:

Thanks, Jamie, that helps explain it somewhat! At least they are using their imagination for this RP and that, I would think, is a good thing. Maybe it also helps them have an outlet for emotions and feelings they can't express in real life? Sort of like play therapy
?
for some, I believe the answer is definitely, yes.

I figure as long as it is in good fun, no one gets nasty or tries to hurt anyone's feelings, it's all fine.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! Not so bizarre to me now that I can wrap my mind around it....I'm sure folks wonder how people like me can read book after book and spend all that time immersed in stories. It's all about imagination, picturing the events therein, learning, feeling what is going on in the story. I don't know what my life would be like without books to read.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sometimes its about leaving the rhetoric of everyday life......

i dont know what would be the purpose of doing it online because just about everyone online is a "different" person than they really are..

however i do like to role play in public...

try this just one time..............

go out and act like a high and might houwty touwty b**** and that is reallllllllllllllllllllllllly fun...

also like to play the dumb uknowing stupid "WOMAN" and get the "smart" men to do stuff for me...hahaha

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've done that! I've walked into a hardware store, gotten a deer in the headlights look in my eyes and immediately had a guy come up and ask if he could help. Meant I didn't have to look all over for what I needed.