I'm stumped by ear mites. !!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If all else fails try this...crush a clove of garlic into a small amount of warm olive oil. Let sit a few minutes then put a few drops in eah ear. Do this morning and night for 2 days and see if it helps.

Garlic will get rid of mites and work on infection

Sometimes dogfood that doesn't agree with the dog will cause ear problems as well. Change the protein source...try lamb dogfood

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
J and J,
For my dogs' ear mites, I was told to use mineral oil...just enough to coat the inside of their ears. I use a q tip to wipe out the gunk each day while I'm using the mineral oil. They've had ear mites 3 or 4 times over the last several years and the mineral oil always seams to work pretty good without irritating their ears and within a few days they clear up pretty good. I went to Walgreens Drug Store and told the lady at the pharmacy counter I needed a dropper to put the mineral oil in their ears and she not only gave me the dropper, but also a small plastic bottle with a cap made specifically for the dropper...the cap stays on the bottle and the tip of the dropper is inserted through an opening in the cap to prevent making a mess.
I sure hope Deacon's ear situation improves.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No I Bee i haven't tried the suggestions because they pertain to fungus. There is no oder to his ears so i've ruled that out.
Just a little side note....sometimes fungus doesn't have an odor. ;) As a massage therapist and a nurse, I've seen numerous folks with fungal infections all over their backs and they never even knew it. A yeast infection may have an odor, but most of the other fungal-type infections have little to no odor at all.

billfosburgh

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
if its earmites WD40 will get them , iv`e used this for years & it WORKS.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I raise NZW rabbits and they are prone to getting mites so I use a few drops of mineral oil in each ear as a preventitive and haven't had mites in over a year now. I also use this on the dogs and cats. I clean the ears then a few drops of the mineral oil. I got a huge bottle at the dollar store for $1 and used it for over a year and I still have 3/4 left. It has saved me alot of $ on vet bills and meds for earmites etc. :bun

I have a German Shepherd who loves to swim and gets water in her ears and gets infections and I use the vinegar like Turney does and it has worked well. We try to keep her out of the pond but she will get in the cows water trough if she can't get to the pond. :rolleyes:
So I am going to try to keep a kiddie pool for her and clean it out every couple of days. She likes to stick her whole head under the water so she gets alot of water in her ears. I have tried an ear cleaner that is suppose to dry the water in the ear but it didn't work. The vinegar has worked and she didn't have a ear infection last summer!!! :ya

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MY step father was a vet, he always had us put mineral oil in animals ears for mites. It always worked well, and was cheap.

Monica