Increase your aggravation and Lose Weight!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been offered a Reel Mower, one of those round things that kind of looks the way I imagine a snow blower to look inside. swirly blade things that you roll around your yard to cut the grass.

I have about an acre of yard, and it's mostly flattish... I'm not in fabulous shape, although round IS a shape.... but I figure on saving some more $$ this summer, and not pay for gas to run our deluxe JD riding mower... am I totally insane? (based solely on this plan, not on my overall situation) How long is it going to take? How sweaty will I be? what are my chances of losing a finger? do I have to rake up all that grass afterwards? (I think I'm allergic to raking)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They are fairly hard to push. And they have to be kept in good shape - sharpened properly and aligned correctly.

But so what if you can only do two swaths a day? So what if it takes you a month to mow the first time?

The second time it will take you two weeks.

The third time it will take you one week.

Focus on progress, not on how much time it takes you to gasp and plod around the first time. :)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is going to take you a long time. You could always not have anything else going on for a weekend and just mow all day and see how long it takes you. I'm guessing if it is a hot day you would get pretty sweaty. I would think like a 50 degree day you wouldn't work up much of a sweat unless you are practically running or something. Also depends on how fast you are walking. I would think it would be pretty hard to push the mower and get your fingers down by the blades but I'm sure someone has found a way. If you don't mind all the grass on the lawn then you don't have to rake. Or, if you mow often so the grass isn't very tall you could probably get away with not raking. Otherwise, have a rake handy.

Good luck with the reel mower.

Maybe for exercise you could mow for a couple hours every night.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Take it! Those things are cool and will always be there when you forgot to fill the gas can or if the price goes up even more.

" what are my chances of losing a finger? "
Have somebody else sharpen it if you are clumsy. Or just get them to show you how if you're coordinated. Other than that, I"d worry more about toes than fingers.
Do you have kids that could rake it?

If you really hate doing it- you could resell it later.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a reel mower. I love it. Yes I get all sweaty and it takes some pushing, but it cuts surprisingly well. My DH has the yard man come and cut, weedeat and trim. I annoy him by using the reel mower, because it is not a "perfect" cut. Oh well.....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FACTS:
I have used one since last summer.
I have lost 45 pounds since last summer.

Probably just coincidence. :lol:

S

sunsaver

Ive been using a reel mover for years and it works great for small areas. The "blades" dont actually have an edge to be sharpened. The reel bypasses a metal lip, and if it is tight and well oiled it sharpens itself. i always encourage people to consider eliminating their lawn space, and convert that land to food prodution. But even if you cant use it, i would not pass up on an antique model. Mine is a modern version, and i only have about 100sq ft. of grass. If my whole acre was grass, i would use goats, and make cheese. pushing a mower all day would be a cool way to shed some pounds though. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't know about weightloss, but that darn push mower did give my arms a work out yesterday! :p

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought one last summer and was so psyched when I bought it to. I had exactly 200.00 to buy a new mower and it chose it over a gas powered one. The logic being I wouldn't have to pay for gas, I would haven't have to change spark plugs, I wouldn't have to worry about it throwing rocks and breaking a window (which I've done a couple of times with the gas powered), more environmentally friendly, I could use it while everyone was sleeping (I'm the early bird in the family) and take advantage of the cool morning air. I have a big yard, about an acre or so and I wasn't worried about push mowing it - I had done it before and could do it again....but it just did such a POOR job.

I was TERRIBLY disappointed. I have A LOT of weeds in my yard and the darned thing won't cut the weeds. The leaves - sure - cuts 'em just fine, but I only mow once a week and by that time the dandelions have already started coming up from the last time I mowed and the reel mower WON't cut them. So I'm left with the leaves of the grass and weeds cut very nicely, but I have dandelion and other weed heads looking at me.

Now the only thing I do is give it the stinky eye when I fill up the other mower to cut the grass. I'll probably sell it.

I got this one: http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Reel-Mowers/Momentum-Reel-Mower

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't mow a lot. Most of my "yard" is food production and animals. I cut a small portion directly in front of the house and to the left of the driveway. I do have a problem getting it to cut the dandelions too, but for free cutting of the grass and bunny food...I can deal with it ;) Mine is not hard to push :hu I got it at TSC. It's a Task Force 18 inch, with a bagger..AKA a bunny food pouch :lol: I love it, and so does DH because he can cut the grass without sneezing his brains out. He has bad allergies, but this doesn't sling grass 20 feet into the air, so he loves it. So do I, I mowed every time for the first 8 years of our marriage!