Inflation Worry?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Please read this article, it's very enlightening. (and not at all political)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We’ll this writer certainly is cheerful about inflation. He cut out the price of food ( kinda necessary) and gas (also kinda necessary) to bring the percentage down to make inflation more palatable. He operates on the assumption that people have well paying jobs with investments. That’s real nice, but many people don’t fit in that bracket. A 5 or 6% , later he mentions 8%, hike on everything consumable hurts those people. Strangely he didn’t mention the rising cost of food and fuel in his cheerful summary of “inflation is good”.

He does say inflation is only bad for people stuck with an income that does not keep up with inflation. Social security is supposed to get an 8% adjustment for inflation next year. That sounds wonderful and good until you figure what people actually get from SS and multiply that by 8%, it will help, but it won’t buy food or fuel.

No problem! Just buy an electric car and never care about gas prices again. The electric grid doesn’t produce enough now. So everyone run out and buy an electric car and contribute to brown outs and rising prices.

Yay for the Bubble Land this guy is living in and all those who are with him. I don’t live there. 8% inflation hurts. 8% raise in SS will be a tank of diesel, thanks for that. But I shouldn’t care about the price of food and fuel, it doesn’t count in Bubble Land.

Inflation is good if you are a borrower. Your house cost $300,000 and is worth $600,000 now. Your bank only wants the $300,000. That is good. Until you sell and have to spend that much or more to get another house because inflation has raised the price of housing every where.

I’m not being political or negative.
I can appreciate the positive attitude, but I live in the real world.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I'm different. DH and I had farm and city condo. Sold farm before he passed. I bought a smaller property...vacant farm land, before he passed. I sold condo, built a house on new land, as planned. Still here, 23 yrs later. At some point I may sell out. But don't like what's happening in area cities now. So...may never move until they plug me into the crypt next to DH. :lol: who knows?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holey Cow! I was shocked and depressed at the same time! The prices on some of the items that I thankfully have in my deep pantry, were abhorrent! From raisins to boxes of cake mix to generic oatmeal.

Almost a bad dream and you can't wake up! 😳😖
It's really scary because it's not stopping. I install price strips in store resets. Some things go up $1-2 per item.....add the shrinkflation, too. :he

Don't have hardly any estate sales my area. But I sale buy for exceptional deals. Grow/raise most foods and it helps that there's just me to feed. 👍 But my usual stash is enough for a year or more.

Almost nothing is wasted, even damaged crops are animal consumed. Really, beyond flour, sugar, salt, etc., I could provide totally for my foods on farm, if needed. Flour, I could grow the wheat & grind, just don't. But I've always said my garden, chickens, a couple goats -- I'm pretty well covered. It's work but, I like knowing my food is available, wholesome, chem free.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He and I live in different worlds and I don’t want to live in a city-any city and ride a bike. I’m 25 miles from anywhere on a dead end road. I love my life and sure wouldn’t trade it for his. Ok I get it, he is living a financial Sufficient Self lifestyle. In a city with everything close at hand, that makes it a lot easier to save money by walking or riding a bike.
This forum is all about living within one’s means, being as Self Sufficient as possible. Most of us, and the author, practice the same ideals, just in different ways.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread for discussion purposes.

I'm shocked at food prices even more. I dropped by Safeway on Friday nite (usually go on Tuesday's to get the various digital deals that are expiring) to only buy a carton of egg nog for hubs. I wandered up and down some of the isles, which I never do on Tuesdays. I'm on a mission for only sale items on Tuesday mornings.

Holey Cow! I was shocked and depressed at the same time! The prices on some of the items that I thankfully have in my deep pantry, were abhorrent! From raisins to boxes of cake mix to generic oatmeal.

I'm getting almost $100 raise in my SS while hubs is getting almost $30. That of course, is before taxes. That extra money won't stretch far at all! Now that we have an extra mouth to feed here (son), its even tougher! (yes, I've asked son to pitch in once in a while).

I'm glad I scour estate sales!! On Friday, I got a 4 lb bag of sugar for $1. An oval Tupperware with red lid almost filled with salt, and buried down in the salt was a Sterling silver small spoon. Again, one buck. At another estate sale in a horrible, fall down house, that was gross all the way around, I spent a whopping $1, on a full large container of liquid Cascade dw detergent. I'm thankful that I the room down in the garage and shop to store this stuff.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember you saying that. Old habits are hard to break sometimes.

she just took some stuff out of the freezer to make room for more stuff to go into the freezer, but that means yet more cooking... lol

now she says she's making more frosting for graham crackers. i said we don't need it but then she says, "It's not going to rot." which is true. :) :) :) it also won't rot if it ends up spread out around my tummy and on my fat ass... oh well. going to have to engage restraint even more for the next few weeks (speaking of inflation i've bounced up a few lbs this past month and that's not the right direction).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
He and I live in different worlds and I don’t want to live in a city-any city and ride a bike. I’m 25 miles from anywhere on a dead end road. I love my life and sure wouldn’t trade it for his.
I go back and forth on this. When DH dies, I don't know if I want to keep this farm. Part of me wants to move to the nearest city (population 75K-ish) and live in an apartment downtown - near the library, farmer's market, performance center, beautiful parks with frequent events, and on city bus routes. I suppose it depends on my age and ability at the time.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I go back and forth on this. When DH dies, I don't know if I want to keep this farm. Part of me wants to move to the nearest city (population 75K-ish) and live in an apartment downtown - near the library, farmer's market, performance center, beautiful parks with frequent events, and on city bus routes. I suppose it depends on my age and ability at the time.
I can relate and feel very similar. I think I might live a few years at the land but probably would move into the city as well....that same city ;)

Latest posts