Info on all sorts of common glues

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's something that most all DIY folks may be interested in. We all use glue right? I've had experience through the years with various "wood glues", short and long-curing epoxies (from tubes), Crazy Glue, PL construction glue, silicone, pvc plumbing-component glue, and more recently Gorillia Glue. When it comes to sticking things together, about the only thing I don't use glue for is metal-to-metal (where I use soldering, brazing or welding).

Anyhow, on another forum I put out the question whether there was good current online info about which kind of glue to use for which materials. I said I was interested in what people can buy at hardware or big-box stores, not at specialty trade-supply outlets. I'm indebted to a guy calling himself simi-steading, who recommended this site:

http://angushines.com/?p=143

It offers a great chart and it also explains a lot of things!

It neglects formulations like Gorilla Glue (which are polyurethanes). But it's very good on a whole lot else.

By the way, not long ago I came across a newer Gorilla product called Gorilla Super Glue, which is like Crazy Glue and other "super glues". I just used this product twice in the last week. Superglues are included in the chart.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Excellent link. There are also some glues for plastics especially that are actually solvents. The glue for Acrylic is a solvent impeded in a gel. The actual solvent has to be applied by hypodermic needle Capillary action draws it into the joint... Not for quick fixes for sure. hence the gel

There are a couple of home made glues that can be used as well. Plain old flour mixed with water makes an excellent glue for hanging wall paper. Just about any starch will work for this kind of application.

Here is a recipe for making pine pitch glue.... Ingredients Pine pitch, fireplace ash, shredded newspaper.
I would suggest a scarificial cast iron pan for this.... LOL.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8469961_make-homemade-super-strong-glue.html

BTW pinepitch glues are used in boat making....
deb

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We have pitch pines in the woods next to us. Wonder how hard it would be to get the pitch out of them?