Inspiring rain water catch system on a homesteaders property!

Unusual_FarmChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I would share what I discovered while shooting footage for one of my video series. A fellow blogger (of Adventures in the 100 acre wood) has an amazing set up.
They direct the water from their roof and downspouts to a large water tank holding system. A pipe directs rain water from the tank to a pump and filter system(housed in the bottom floor of the chicken coop nearby) which feeds fresh water to the livestock waterer's on the property.
Think of the work that helps cut each day.
I have included the set up in my video if any of you would like to check it out. My husband is now determined this is what we will do on our next property. :)
http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/2010/04/homesteader-spotlight-video-1.html
Too cool not to share. I have heard of larger water catch systems but have never seen one even in pictures.
Hope you like it!
~Tammie
The Unusual Farm Chick

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing!

our set up is no where near as fancy! We have spouting up on our animal housing that catches the rain water and routes it into 55 gallon drums.

No filtering system.

We then use all of the rain water to water our animals.

Unusual_FarmChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
One of the reasons behind my doing these videos is to show the many diverse ways people in homesteading do things.
Come on Q_A.... What do ya say? You going to let me bug you for a day? I promise not to film anything ya don't me to.
Pleeeaase...:D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wonderful system!
Howeve, I would have loved to have a longer look at the chicken coop set up.
That brooder area, under the roosts?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Unusual_FarmChick said:
Come on Q_A.... What do ya say? You going to let me bug you for a day? I promise not to film anything ya don't me to.
Pleeeaase...:D
I ran it by E....he didn't say no, just had an amused look on his face and shrugged....so I guess that's an A-OK, come on down... :lol:

Monday's are Auction Day.
Next Friday might have a trip to Roger's in it.....
Saturday's for now are Chick Days until May 1.

May 15 is Mt. Hope swap - where we are hoping to sell more of these dern chicks...for top prices....

So...does a weekday work for you??? and what do you want to see? us in action at Auction, bartering, or just pitter pattering around the farm???

Ask me about chickens - that's what I know the most about............

Unusual_FarmChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The hardest part of doing these videos is not knowing what will be there before you arrive. Then, once you have all the footage, you msut edit it into a not too long segment. Not to mention trying to keep mixed viewers interested. It has been a learning experience which continues with each new destination.
I will be back at the place above in late summer. I plan to do some footage in more detail for use in winter segments. I will be taking note on doing more details for the chicken coop set up;).
Q_A I am one of those people who have a sitter only on weekends. That would be my husband....He was on vacation the week we went down to W.V and he had his parents watch the 3 kids (one is only 4). Plus I only have my buddy/camera guy available on weekends.
Any way to squeeze a weekend in anytime between now and June(excluding the last weekend in may of course.)
Shoot me an email (it's over on my profile page of my blogger blog).
Hopefully we can work a day out. :) Might help if I know where you are in Ohio.... If you are close enough I may be able to disperse a visit so I can get some footage of those other things you do.