Is Irene New York City's "Katrina"

S

sunsaver

I heard that a storm surge could flood Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, knock out power, flood the subways, take out cell phones, disrupt the internet, etc. This could be just the type of SHTF event that me and my friends on here have been warning about. I think i would rather leave early than get stuck in traffic, or even worse, a flooded and blacked out New York city. There are possibly 11 million people who are in the path of this storm.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd give that a definite maybe. From what I've seen of the forecasts, it looks like it may be moving too fast by the time it gets to that area to push as much of a storm surge. At least I hope so.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm keeping a close eye on this storm. I'm right in it's path. And, we're already saturated from the rain a couple of weeks ago, as well as storms today. There are places that still haven't dried out, and I hate to even think about what it will be like when this storm hits.

Problem is, in this area, most people don't take the idea of a hurricane that seriously. After all, they don't normally hit here. But, when Gloria came thru 26 years ago, I got a bit of a wake up call. (Come to think of it, it was right around this time of year.) My husband was working at the artificial island for the Hope Creek generating station. This is right on the Delaware. It came to a certain time, and they shut the road down. No one was allowed in or out. I wanted him home in the worst way! (This was B4 he turned into a mean drunk, back then, he didn't drink at all.) I was pregnant w/our son, and I'll be honest, I was scared. I did not sleep well that night. I've never looked at hurricanes quite the same since then.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We're on alert here too. Watching closely. Picked up extra food, etc. today. It's been a while since we've had a bad hurricane come up this far north. They almost always miss us. Hopefully this one will too, but it doesn't look like it will.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I am in the path, on an island and scared as h e double hockey sticks.

S

sunsaver

Is there any way you can evacuate? I don't think being on an island is a good idea.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i was pretty surprised that they are considering shutting down mass transit in NYC - wow! but they werent deciding until sat morning to evac? golly... i wouldnt be hanging around there for sure.

if there is that much at risk - weeks without power in the affected area??? -- even over here in our neck of the woods we're just being extra careful. i'm making sure we have extra everything and gassing up the trucks. just in case. the last time we got some of those winds we were out of power for a couple days. it was very odd. totally blue sky but the wind was howling.

hang on, East Side... its gonna be wild for sure.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
That's the plan. I am unsure of getting all the animals off the island though. :(

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The History Channel did a show on this very possibility. It is about a once every hundred years event, in the 1930's was the closest thing to it. I would hope NY'ers (including the authorities) would learn the lessons from Katrina to get out of danger first and not sit around and wait.

I think you can watch the show online. The show talks about the various factors that need to come into play for the worst-case scenario.

S

sunsaver

FarmerJamie said:
The History Channel did a show on this very possibility. It is about a once every hundred years event, in the 1930's was the closest thing to it. I would hope NY'ers (including the authorities) would learn the lessons from Katrina to get out of danger first and not sit around and wait.

I think you can watch the show online. The show talks about the various factors that need to come into play for the worst-case scenario.
If it does happen, it could be 10 times as bad as Katrina. I'd be getting out of Dodge ASAP.