Is it possible...

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
...to transform our decorative windmill into very small power generator for a playhouse?
If it wouldn't be hard, what parts would I need to get it to run?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on what you wanted to operate with it. If it were for something small, say LED lighting for the play house, it wouldn't be too hard.

The easiest way (I guess, as I'm certainly no expert) would be to use the shaft of the windmill to turn a small permanent magnet motor. Then you would need a voltage regulator of some sort.

BTW, a good source of permanent magnet motors is to keep an eye out for a powered treadmill being discarded. A lot of the time, the motors are still good.

I'd recommend doing a Google or a Yahoo search for home built wind turbines to get some ideas.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
key being---"small decorative windmill"---size does matter here..HA HA

google----"homemade wind turbine" and you hit a slew of ways to build your own. they are not complicated but homemade small ones just don't give alot of power so...??

good luck and let us know what you accomplish!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You might first inspect it to see how much friction there is in the bearings, and whether it swivels to face the wind (depends on what kind of decorative windmill). If there is significant friction and/or it doesn't swivel, it will take a lot more extensive retrofitting.

It would probably also be a real good idea to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations on how much electricity you could ideally hope to get out of it. You will need estimates of how often it is turning and how fast it turns when it does (on average, not 'maximum'). Then make some assumption about how much torque it has and figure out what it could do.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It can swivel, but it doesn't that often.
The thing is always spinning so I thought I we could use the energy rather than let it go to waste.

Miltonchix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Windmills are used to charge a bank of batteries. The batteries then have an inverter attached which turns DC voltage to AC voltage.
Because the speed of the wind is constantly changing, and AC needs to be at a constant amplitude(120VAC) AND frequency (60HZ), running directly from a windmill would burn up most electrical/electronic devices. So windmills are DC generators that feed the batteries which in turn converts the stored energy from the battery to usable AC.
Converting a decorative windmill to one that would produce usable power would not be practical.

hibaaryan

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
No...they don't flood out. Even when the breaker on the electric trips it just drains back in to the pond. That is not a concern at all.

hiba aryan

Last edited: