Is it safe...?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just had a question for the future. I'm new to the raw milk thing. But we've been drinking it since we got the goats early this spring. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about raw milk and pregnancy? Eventually we'll be starting a family and I had talked to several people who were a bit concerned about us drinking the raw milk while I was pregnant. These people by no means know anything about raw milk. But I have not researched any reports etc about raw milk use during pregnancy.

I know everything has to do with sanitation and the animals living conditions/food sources etc which is one of the many reasons we choose to raise these animals ourselves, we wanted to know they were being cared for properly and the equipment was being taken care of the way it should be. So I guess my question is has anyone run across any info, reports etc that has info on this topic? Does it really change anything? Wouldn't breast feeding be considered a baby drinking the mothers raw milk?

P.S. NOT looking for a raw milk vs. pasteurized milk debate. We've already done the research on this and that's why we decided to do it. I try to base my decisions on good solid info (especially as we are radically changing our lifestyles and food habits around) so just looking for any info anyone has. I know there are lots of people here who are very well versed in subject matters such as this, so I figured it would be as good a place as any to start my search. :) Thanks guys!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kala said:
Hi all!

Just had a question for the future. I'm new to the raw milk thing. But we've been drinking it since we got the goats early this spring. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about raw milk and pregnancy? Eventually we'll be starting a family and I had talked to several people who were a bit concerned about us drinking the raw milk while I was pregnant. These people by no means know anything about raw milk. But I have not researched any reports etc about raw milk use during pregnancy.

I know everything has to do with sanitation and the animals living conditions/food sources etc which is one of the many reasons we choose to raise these animals ourselves, we wanted to know they were being cared for properly and the equipment was being taken care of the way it should be. So I guess my question is has anyone run across any info, reports etc that has info on this topic? Does it really change anything? Wouldn't breast feeding be considered a baby drinking the mothers raw milk?

P.S. NOT looking for a raw milk vs. pasteurized milk debate. We've already done the research on this and that's why we decided to do it. I try to base my decisions on good solid info (especially as we are radically changing our lifestyles and food habits around) so just looking for any info anyone has. I know there are lots of people here who are very well versed in subject matters such as this, so I figured it would be as good a place as any to start my search. :) Thanks guys!
Drink it! Your baby will thank you! A combo of lots of raw milk and fermented cod liver oil, and plenty of other whole foods, will prevent dental deformities, such as narrow and deformed pallet and cavitations. All of which are considered normal today.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Kala, honestly, YOU are here because of raw milk. Your ancestors must have drank it, right? So...they lived long enough to produce the folks who would eventually produce you, right? It's safe ;) I would have NO issue with consuming it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You are also very unlikely to experience morning sickness if you eat traditionally. Do you have a copy of Nourishing Traditions yet? If not, run, don't walk, and get a copy. Also do a search on raw milk and pregnancy on www.westonaprice.org. You'll have lots of ammo and science to back it up.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Like I said, we did alot of research before we decided to do raw milk ourselves. And I didn't think pregnancy would change much but you always have a few people who question that. So I just wanted to do a little research to [help] reassure some jittery family members. :rolleyes: ;)

ETA: B/c I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel since we have switched over to whole food based diet :) And how crappy I feel when we veer off of it. :sick

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kala said:
Thanks guys! Like I said, we did alot of research before we decided to do raw milk ourselves. And I didn't think pregnancy would change much but you always have a few people who question that. So I just wanted to do a little research to [help] reassure some jittery family members. :rolleyes: ;)
You could also tell them that the CDC actually proves the safety of raw milk on their own site. Stats prove you are 35,000 times more likely to get sick eating all other foods, then from drinking raw milk.
Maybe a copy of "The untold story of milk" to pass around might help.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Kala said:
You could also tell them that the CDC actually proves the safety of raw milk on their own site. Stats prove you are 35,000 times more likely to get sick eating all other foods, then from drinking raw milk.
Maybe a copy of "The untold story of milk" to pass around might help.
Thanks BB! I really love being informed about our food choices. So when people say, "You eat what? Is that SAFE??" I can give them actual info to back it up. And then ask them if they have any info to back up their lunch choice of a McDonalds burger and fries. :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Kala said:
ETA: B/c I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel since we have switched over to whole food based diet :) And how crappy I feel when we veer off of it. :sick
I KNOW what you mean! It is such a drastic contrast!! Part of mine was allergy, and I am not TOTALLY traditional foods, but WOW, dramatic changes!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Kala said:
I KNOW what you mean! It is such a drastic contrast!! Part of mine was allergy, and I am not TOTALLY traditional foods, but WOW, dramatic changes!
No one knows how awful they feel on SAD. That's part of the trouble with the skeptics.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Wannabefree said:
Kala said:
No one knows how awful they feel on SAD. That's part of the trouble with the skeptics.
Ok dumb question. SAD? What's that stand for?

Latest posts