Is there anything better....?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
...than a wood fire on a cold, damp fall evening? :love Every fall I fall in love with my wood stove all over again!

We have a small boxwood stove that was looking pretty grody, rusty and dry looking. The Bat blackened the legs and other parts that don't get real hot and then oiled the rest of the stove up with olive oil. Yes, olive oil.

It looks absolutely lovely and has a beautiful patina now that I would have never believed. The first firing we had a good bit of smoke but it seemed to season right out and now there is no smell or smoke....just pretty.

We also replaced a worn out damper and the stove looks and works like new. It holds a fire so much better now and is now, instead of a necessary eyesore, a pretty part of the decor.

Anyone else renewing their love affair with their wood stoves? :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
...than a wood fire on a cold, damp fall evening? :love Every fall I fall in love with my wood stove all over again!

We have a small boxwood stove that was looking pretty grody, rusty and dry looking. The Bat blackened the legs and other parts that don't get real hot and then oiled the rest of the stove up with olive oil. Yes, olive oil.

It looks absolutely lovely and has a beautiful patina now that I would have never believed. The first firing we had a good bit of smoke but it seemed to season right out and now there is no smell or smoke....just pretty.

We also replaced a worn out damper and the stove looks and works like new. It holds a fire so much better now and is now, instead of a necessary eyesore, a pretty part of the decor.

Anyone else renewing their love affair with their wood stoves? :D
Not yet, and ours is only a wood burning furnace hidden in the basement. Love that we get to heat with wood but there's no asthetic enjoyment. Today if we'd been home DH might have lit it but we were still in the high 80s through last Friday! :rant
I'm more than a little envious that you're enjoying yours!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't have a wood stove. Just a contractor grade metal fire box. Bleh!!! A masonry fireplace was way out of our price range while building. BUT, it has been coll and drizzly here all day. I lit a fire this morning and have been tending it all day. Ahhhh.... so cozy.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I wood kill to be able to have a small wood stove, or even a fireplace, in our living room. I envy those that have them.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My wife complained yesterday evening that it was cool in the house (60 degrees) and how nice it would be to have a fire in the stove. So while she was out today I cleaned off the dust and wiped the whole stove down, cleaned the glass on the door, checked all of the connections, and put a fire starter and logs in the firebox. Tonight it's 57 degrees in the house, so I ask her if she would like me to light a fire. "No, not tonight. I think that I'll just get under the comforter and read". :th

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
absolutely hate a wood fire in my home
I just can't handle the smell, it inflames the old sinus lol

but I love fires while camping etc

but for me I am in love with my propane fireplace...it gives off such wonderful warmth without any smell (well, at least I can handle it)

but nothing like marshmellows on a stick over an outdoor fire :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My husband is always hot and I'm always cold. I'm ready for the woodstove NOW but he looks at me as if I suggested something nasty when I hinted about a fire the other night. I'm barely convincing him to shut the windows......

Our woodstove is not lovely but works great. I just wish we could see the flames, it is an older style. It also does not completely heat the house and we need to add a second one at the other end, which is where my bed is! Of course hubby thinks this is a crazy idea, he would be much TOO hot with a woodstove in the room, but I think the idea is lovely. I've seem some really small ones and that is the kind I'd like, so it would fit into this room.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to upgrade ours. We just have a brick hole in the wall that creates smoke. Our chimney needs work too :( I'd love to get a wood burner insert like my folks have someday.